Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Bad hermit crabs

killerb

I recently added a few frags of zoas. Some did not do to well, but the ones that have completely open a started looking good are now getting destroy (ripped off the frag plugs and now floating in the sand) by my hermit crabs. I have 5 - 3 blue legs that are dime sized, 1 black and white legged about dime sized, and 1 red legged about quarter sized in my Aquapod 12. Is this to many? There appears to be plenty of stuff in the sand to eat. Is this normal for hermit crab. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
I recently added a few frags of zoas. Some did not do to well, but the ones that have completely open a started looking good are now getting destroy (ripped off the frag plugs and now floating in the sand) by my hermit crabs. I have 5 - 3 blue legs that are dime sized, 1 black and white legged about dime sized, and 1 red legged about quarter sized in my Aquapod 12. Is this to many? There appears to be plenty of stuff in the sand to eat. Is this normal for hermit crab. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

There are a few of us who are really annoyed with hermits. I am replacing mine with emerald crabs -- less destructive, entertaining and great cleaners.

linkia lady

I would watch out with the emerald crabs too. I have had them pick at stuff too! There are some people who say no crab is reef safe. I think it is the individual, some pick, others don't.

I have one scarlet and one Mexican red-legged (a very tiny sp) hc's that have never caused any problems. I had an emerald once that killed a small Fungia...

I now have another emerald, though... :)

IME, hermits zero in on new frags and clean them meticulously. Perhaps if your zoas were not anchored especially well, they became detached as the crabs were cleaning around/under them.

--Diane

Archived