Top Shelf Aquatics

dosing Kalk, what else?

DustinWayman

DustinWayman

Hey everyone, I have been searching for a while now and I am trying to get a good list of what I need to be dosing my 18 gallon tall with 72 watts PC, 44 lbs live rock, 22 lb's live sand, a Torch, 2 toadstools, polyps and soon I will have some SPS (when my new 250 watt 20K MH Setup is put on) I have built a kalkwasser reactor and would like to drip 24/7 as I will definately have a lot of evaporation. I have a container of Balls Pickling Lime and I am guessing I will use it in the reactor. I would like to keep my calcium at ~450. Will I also need to add a liquid calcium? if so, how should I dose it? Add vinigar to the kalk? what is a good all around coral vitamin/coraline stimulator? Should I still use the B-ionic that I am dosing now? Should I use an Alk. additive? how would I dose it? I appreciate ANY help you all can give me!

Thanks!

~Dustin Wayman

I'm completely talking out of my ass here, but I wouldn't go adding a bunch of additives unless they are needed.

I'd hold off adding any sps until your CA/Alk levels are stable. Keep testing & adjusting as needed to reach the levels you're looking for & maintain them.

Then add your sps slowly. As you add them keep testing & adjusting until levels are stable again before adding more.

The Kalk sounds fine, I wouldn't worry about adding the vinegar yet. I believe that it just lets the solution hold more calcium. See how much calcium your system requires to maintain it's optimal level first. B-Ionic sounds OK too, just keep an eye on things. Doesn't it say on the bottle that if you are using Kalk you should half the dose of B-Ionic? I can't remember.

Anyway, I don't know how much help that is to you & I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along & help you out.

Ike

Archived