ReefCleaners.org

white spots on glass? possible anenome?

ODA

I dunno if I spelled anenome right...

Anyway, I have a 10g tank that's been up for almost 3 months now.

Specs:

20lb LS

20lb LR

1 emerald

1 astrea

1 turbo snail

4 scarlet hermits

1 unidentified hermit

1 fighting conch

In the past week, all of a sudden I've noticed little white spots on the glass with little "tentacles" multiplying on the glass. What are these? some kind of anenome? When the snails hit the glass they visible avoid these spots and will pull back quickly if they should touch one. I assume this is not a good thing. When I say small, I mean small i.e. less than the size of the head of a pin, but there's a lot of them. I scrape them off occasionally with my mag float only to see them appear again the next day. What are they and if they're pests, what can I do to get rid of them? I'm very hesitant to touch them with all the threads lately about killer zoos and killer nudis.

Hydroid Jellyfish... they tend to go away with competing copepods and amphipods.. some people have had them to the extreme.. in that case you can just use a fish net to scoop them out... they don't get very big.. a few millimeters to a centimeter or so across.. I had a slew of them but eventually they gave way to other organisms.. I occationally see one or two on the glass, but nothing to worry about... they won't cause you any problems, but in excess they may be damaging to your livestock... mine came and went before I introduced any livestock so it wasn't an issue... Do a search for "hydroid" and you'll get a bunch of hits

I think I also may have them, I have a ton of white spots on my back and side glass, close up it looks like a swirled up string...I know they are not copepods and look different from teh starfish type of hydroids

Archived