Top Shelf Aquatics

Hawaiian Hermit

Gaxar

img4967qw1.th.jpg

I recently got this nice looking crab from my local, and it was said to be a perfect addition to my little reef, as seemingly it's a nice and calm weedkiller, and a bit of an eye candy as well. Since then though all my other animals look pretty frightened - the skunk shrimp instead of the usual dog-like attention it gives me keeps hiding all the time and it doesn't even come out for food. My peppermint shrimp suddenly lost all it's legs (literally - it's pretty sad to look at him just lying on the sand waiting for the inevitable.

There's also a second suspect was at first my PJ Wrasse however it seems to be pretty timid and I've yet to see it trying to attack something.

So my question for you is - has anyone seen this crab attack anything? I admit, I haven't checked before I bought it (big mistake!) but I trust these guys as they're pretty good in my opinion and usually don't really want to sell stuff dangerous to my tank.

Stan

Those get huge and if Im not mistakin are not so reef safe! My lfs has some and they are about the size of a golf ball!

Can't really tell - it's huge compared to the HC, and he's quite big as well. He's been banished from the DT though, and is in my QT atm. I'm really not happy with that purchase however - as the old chinese saying tells us "He who buys without proper knowledge of the subject is a muppet" it's really my fault.

Stan

seahorsedreams

Geez, he's not even wearing your little astraea or cerith shell either... he went straight for the conch!

I don't believe any crab is reefsafe..... there are reefsafeR options but none are herbivores. Some have a greater liking for greens than others.... but we even caught our little emerald crab stealing mysis from the tubastrea. We handed him a piece of a nori sheet and he grabbed it and left. So indeed he likes greens but has no problem eating meat. The next time you see them or another hermit listed as a herbivore... laugh 'cause you know better.

Ah, yes, conch. Now I see it! :)

FWIW, I'd at least call many crabs omnivores--and thus helpful with algae from time to time...but also great scavengers.

And I have NEVER had a problem with my little "Mexican red-legged hc," one I don't see in the shops anymore. It only grows to half an inch...

--Diane

I have three red-legged hermits in my 10g (among other things) and they keep it spotless. However, they did pick at my GSP at first, and then it eventually collapsed.

By the way, the Hawaiian hermit is quite a beautiful creature.

edit: and like c'est ma and shd have already stated, most crabs will eat almost anything.

Thanks boys and girls :)

Next time someone tells me - buy a crab man they're great for your nano, they'll clean it spotless and won't touch any corals, I'll tell them I'm smarter than that! Ha! Ha! :)

Anyway I'm taking the halloween hermit to the LFS today - it would be a shame if it died just because I couldn't keep him in the DT. We'll see what they say.

And I'll leave my money at home this time :P

Thanks again guys.

Stan

Archived