Top Shelf Aquatics

Phytoplankton doseing?

FLcracker94

FLcracker94

Well, when I started my tank, I was given phytoplankton, but wasn't told what for. I'm guessing it was for my tree sponge, but that died a while ago. Should I keep putting Phytoplankton into the tank for the bubble coral? or does the coral not use it?

I'm guessing the coral doesn't use it lol. Since the sponge is gone, do I dose it or not>?

ReadyReefer

as lonk as you dose it in moderation it shouldn't hurt. also if i were you i would target feed that bubble coral instead of just pouring it in

FLcracker94

I can't exaclty do that, cause I never see the coral's mouth. Its usually contracted. When it was healthy and inflated, I still never saw a mouth.

ReadyReefer
I can't exaclty do that, cause I never see the coral's mouth. Its usually contracted. When it was healthy and inflated, I still never saw a mouth.

that is becauese they don't really have mouths, but if you look at it during the night cycle, and it is healthy, it can extend sweeper tentacles. This is when i have been advised to feed them

FLcracker94

uh oh....Theres a little uninflated spot (looks dead) with a hole, that looks like a mouth. Problem is...this is during the day. is it the mouth?

...poor bubble...I'm pretty much torturing it...I REALLY gotta get that new tank so I can start with clean water and beter lights and heater...

oh, like my avatar and sig? lol

STRINGCHEESE

Turn off your power head and wait for calm water. then drop in phytoP and let it settle onto your bubble coral and give it a20 minutes or so to take some in.

Works wonders on my xenia. :)

uh oh....Theres a little uninflated spot (looks dead) with a hole, that looks like a mouth. Problem is...this is during the day. is it the mouth?

...poor bubble...I'm pretty much torturing it...I REALLY gotta get that new tank so I can start with clean water and beter lights and heater...

oh, like my avatar and sig? lol

even if you setup the new tank now youd still have to wait 3 weeks to 6 weeks before it could get in there

reefman225gal
that is becauese they don't really have mouths, but if you look at it during the night cycle, and it is healthy, it can extend sweeper tentacles. This is when i have been advised to feed them
Corals do have mouths.
FLcracker94

I know it would be that long, but the faster I get the new one set up, the faster I can get the coral into clean water.

Good news, the coral is starting to inflate more, I think the heater is working.

Lets hope it stays like this and gets better.

mstrofdisaster
You just squirt some ontop of the bubbles? (polyps for xenia)?

I just use a syringe with a dull tip and squirt it about an inch from the coral and let it settle in. HTH.

FLcracker94

I tried this yesterday, I know were to put it on my xenia but not the bubble. Just ontop the bubbles? or in the mouth/

reefman225gal
I tried this yesterday, I know were to put it on my xenia but not the bubble. Just ontop the bubbles? or in the mouth/
Dude! If you talking about Plerogyra (bubble coral) you want to feed it at night when its feeding tentacles come out. You can feed it cut up shrimp, silversides. ect... as it is a carnivourous coral. Once a week would be fine.

Archived