Cultivated Reef

buy larger nano or less intense light?

kwyjibo

I'm jonesing for more light. My 2x36 PCs from AHsupply just arent cutting it anymore for the corals I want to keep. I tried my hand at SPS with a brown monti and it didnt really go much of anywhere before the great heatwave of 2002 killed it and all of my other softies while I was at work one day.

Man, and I was having such a great run since it started 8 months ago... :-(

Anyways, Im moving the tank to the basement where the temp is more stable and I want to get SPS corals going.

So here's my choices:

(1) Get the giesemann DE HQI 150W for my 10 gallon

(2) Get the giesemann DE HQI 250W for my 10 gallon

(3) Get the giesemann DE HQI 250W for a new 20 gallon

Is the 250W too excessive for a 10 gallon?

NanoReefer53

????

a brown montipora digi should do great under 2x36 in a ten gallon. If that's the case though, something else is wrong, probably the water. SPS need good water conditions, there's no way you'll keep one with unstable foul water. A 150w HQI will do good for SPS even under a 20g but if u really want to keep those bright acros then the 250w would be a better choice. Seriouslly though, let the water conditions stabalize and keep everything in good conditions, then SPS would be a choice for you.

Yeh, I was told the same thing about the brown monti, but I didnt get the time/chance to see it really do anything. Maybe I shoulda acclimated it better...

I've got a piece of pocillopora right now and it's doing fantastic and showing so much more growth than the montipora ever did. I've only had it for a month though so let's see how long it holds out in my tank.

I was thinking of doing away with the clowns and the BTA and making the 10 gallon strictly an SPS tank when I get the new light.

Corals can be so random sometimes. Oh wait, it's probably just me and my water quality.

Archived