Cultivated Reef

HOB refugium

Gin_Tseng

I;m in the process of making a hang on refugium so that I can put it behind my 2.5g tank, but I am concerned about the circulation after I put the refugium in. Right now I have a hang on back filter from a 30 gallon tank for circulation (I didn;t want a powerhead in there because it is so big compared to the tank) and it seems to give me good circulation. I just wanted to know how strong(water flow) will the return pipe be coming out of the HOB refugium? Will this be enough circulation for my 2.5? I would like to have a strong current in there. Will the water flow just depend on the powerhead in the refugium?

the flow-thru rate for the refugium should be low (i.e. 1x~2x volume of the fuge imo).

your tank will most likely still need further supplemental current flow if you hob fuge is like a small cpr-brand type. the cpr can be run open throttle but that defeats part of the design of a fuge as a calm habitat for bio-diverse plankton generation and fry-sized animal development.

i'd add a microjet or equivalent into the 2.5g or another small hob filter (e.g. AC mini) for additional flow. btw flow rates will also depend/be determined by your livestock needs and aquascape. hth

Archived