ReefCleaners.org

cleaner shrimp tentacles are all bent and twisted

jldesign

not sure what is up but my cleaner shrimp tentacles are all bent, crinked, twisted looking. not long and straight like your used to seeing? he is 5 months old or so and all is well in the tank fish/corals/etc. he has molted a bunch of times since I got him. he eats when he can as always.

they have been bent like this for a few weeks now any ideas off the top from anyone? he is just weird looking

if your cleaner shrimp is not straight

then

its gay!

possible - I did notice a small pink fur scarf floating in the tank last night? thought that was weird.

the tentacles are all bent not like it got caught in anything just strange I can't find any references to this anywhere. only thing is my tank has hit 82-83 a few times over the past weeks at times but that is not strange as it has in the past as well before. nothing else looks effected only the shrimp.

Did the shrimp recently molt? The reason I ask is that I used to work in an LFS and if any shrimp molted in our tanks their antannae were never straight but rather curved and limp. This was solely due to water conditions (poor). I took several home and on their subsequent molt, they all regained their proper look. Check your water , do a water change and you may see that on the succesive molt the shrimp will return to normal. Also ( if you don't already) supplement your crustaceans diet with some frozen shrimp,squid,crab etc. These have a high iodine content that aids in the molting process.

Did the shrimp recently molt? The reason I ask is that I used to work in an LFS and if any shrimp molted in our tanks their antannae were never straight but rather curved and limp. This was solely due to water conditions (poor). I took several home and on their subsequent molt, they all regained their proper look. Check your water , do a water change and you may see that on the succesive molt the shrimp will return to normal. Also ( if you don't already) supplement your crustaceans diet with some frozen shrimp,squid,crab etc. These have a high iodine content that aids in the molting process.

they do get a variety of goodies to eat I try and mix it up. I have been lax on my water changes over the past few weeks ;) so this maybe part of the problem - he did molt not long before I noticed the change thinking back a bit. thanks for the comments

Archived