Coral Vue Hydros

Sponge rinsing on stock NC12

opaquelace

opaquelace

Ok...for right now I have just the stock sponge in chamber 1 on my NC12. I need to rinse it out and I'm wondering if I should rinse it out with the same distilled water I use for top-offs? Also, what is a better alternative to my sponge, I've heard that they aren't the best thing to have?

Also, I'm letting my tank cycle for three months with just LR before I add my clean-up crew so that the various stages of algae growth can do their thing... Should I still do water changes and change my carbon out? I haven't done my first water change because my initial cycle has not finished...

RayWhisperer

I think I love you! Finally, someone who is willing to wait! Have I told you I think I love you?

If you are going to stick with the stock sponge, tap water is fine. I used to do it that way. I never had an algae issue(tap around me is very bad too.) However, filter floss is so much easier. I just made a little basket to put it in.

Here....

DSCN1360.jpg

DSCN1359.jpg

DSCN1358.jpg

All you need is some egg crate, a small amount of acrylic, and some super glue.

As for water changes. I usually let the initial cycle go without water changes. Only top offs. After that, I'll do water changes. However, bi weekly, not weekly. Never anything big... A gallon is fine. Just something to replentish any trace elements.

Did I tell you I think I love you? Yeah, I did. Well, I still do.

opaquelace
I think I love you! Finally, someone who is willing to wait! Have I told you I think I love you?

If you are going to stick with the stock sponge, tap water is fine. I used to do it that way. I never had an algae issue(tap around me is very bad too.) However, filter floss is so much easier. I just made a little basket to put it in.

Here....

DSCN1360.jpg

DSCN1359.jpg

DSCN1358.jpg

All you need is some egg crate, a small amount of acrylic, and some super glue.

As for water changes. I usually let the initial cycle go without water changes. Only top offs. After that, I'll do water changes. However, bi weekly, not weekly. Never anything big... A gallon is fine. Just something to replentish any trace elements.

Did I tell you I think I love you? Yeah, I did. Well, I still do.

Hahaha...thank you :D , I'm glad I'm getting some positive feedback!

I'm glad I can just rinse it out with tap water, I had no idea, and I was thinking, if I have to do that every three or so days that's going to take me a gallon of distilled water each time! :o I was thinking that my tap water would be ok, I mean there is a filter on the whole house so we have fairly good water...it's drinkable right out the faucet at least. I'll have to look into this filter floss...because that sponge is a pain in the butt to get out of that chamber :angry: .

As for the waiting, it will be hard...but I'd rather have a stable tank than lose a bunch of pretty coral and not to mention the money they cost! :bling:

joesmoe517

why would you rinse them every three days to begin with? I have used the stock sponges all 16 months i've had my nc12 and i just rinse them in the tank water i take out when i do my bi-weekly water changes. Helps keep the bacteria on the sponge alive.

opaquelace
why would you rinse them every three days to begin with? I have used the stock sponges all 16 months i've had my nc12 and i just rinse them in the tank water i take out when i do my bi-weekly water changes. Helps keep the bacteria on the sponge alive.

Really? I'm still doing research, obviously, three days was just a ball park range I guess.

Have you done any modifications to your NC12, or is it all stock?

eklikewhoa

I threw pretty much everything that came with the stock DX away.

I have live rock filled up to the lower portion of the overflow and there lies a rectangle blue bonded pad.

I have a NC 12DX. I switched to filter floss and it works well without a basket. I just take a handful and push it in there on top of my charcoal .

I use walmarts pillow stuffing "morning glory" brand. A lot of people here use it. It is very cheap and works well. I change it out every week when I do my water change and clean up.

I use LR rubble in the 2nd chamber for biological filtration. I also have chaeto in the 2nd chamber which keeps my nitraes and phosphates at 0.

I also upgraded the pump to a MaxiJet 900 with a hydor flow.

opaquelace
I have a NC 12DX. I switched to filter floss and it works well without a basket. I just take a handful and push it in there on top of my charcoal .

I use walmarts pillow stuffing "morning glory" brand. A lot of people here use it. It is very cheap and works well. I change it out every week when I do my water change and clean up.

I use LR rubble in the 2nd chamber for biological filtration. I also have chaeto in the 2nd chamber which keeps my nitraes and phosphates at 0.

I also upgraded the pump to a MaxiJet 900 with a hydor flow.

Thanks for the info :) Should I wait until I decide to add my CUC to switch to filter floss, LR rubble and chaeto, or should I do that now?

I tried chaeto in chamber 2 but kept getting it in my pump. I tried the gutter guard but that would get clogged with it. I ended up putting 1 of the sponges in the bottom of chamber 1 and chaeto on top of it. Since you need to turn chaeto ever so often anyway I take it out and wash the sponge in hot tap water weekly. I have a sapphire skimmer in #2 but would put rubble there if I didnt. #3 has MJ-900, heater, chemipure and purigen.

joesmoe517
Have you done any modifications to your NC12, or is it all stock?

yea i've done a few mods, i cut the backing off the center sump and put lr rubble and chaeto in it with a 6700k 15w bulb up against the back. i upgraded the pump to a maxi-jet 900 and a hydor flo and upgraded the lights with the 4.24 96watt system from nanotuners.com. i also run a fan outside the tank blowing across the top with the lid open and it drops my temp a degree or so.

Archived