Cultivated Reef

Question about snails

gheagney

Hi.. I have a question and I was hoping someone could help. I was out at the local port the other night fishing and I noticed the rocks were covered with snails. So I grabbed one and brought it home to try out in my tank. It has been in there for almost 2 days and seems to be doing fine. However, I am wondering if there is anything that may go wrong. As of now I have 2 store bought zebra snails and a whole bunch of hermits and nessarius (sp.) snails in my tank (Bio Cube 29). While the zebras move back and forth from the rock to the glass, the new one i found tends to stay on the rock. Anyway, hope someone can give me some insight on whether to keep this snail or lose it...... or whether i should take more advantage of these freebies haha. I'll try and get some pics posted soon.

Thanks.

First of all you should ID this snail. If you don't know what it is, putting that in your tank is usually a bad idea. Second, you don't know what is attached to the snail could be crab eggs or whatever. Hitchhikers I don't think would be too much of a problem but you should know what goes in the tank. If you can get a good ID on the snail and don't worry about hitch hikers then partake long as it's something your fish and wildlife approve of as well.

thanks for the info. ive been trying to id it. not too much luck there. it doesnt appear to have much in the way of hitchhikers, but i think im coming to the realization that its just not worth it to keep it. but i may find out that it's completely harmless. as far as any regulations go, i've been looking and havent seen anything that seems to be wrong with having one. but i appreciate you looking out.

thanks.

Archived