Kalanianaole

Kalanianaole

Specs:

Eclipse 6

3x13 watt 50/50 PC

8 watt Power-Glo NO

Rio 90

Fish:

green clown goby (in tank for 10 months)

pajama cardinalfish (three months)

neon yellow goby (one month)

black/white percula (one week- since I took the pictures he has starved himself, against my best efforts to feed the poor feller.)

Corals:

SPS: montipora digitata

pink birdsnest

LPS:

2 types of hammer

torch coral

pearl coral

tubastrea

2 types of trumpet

small goniopora (been in tank for four months with minor growth)

Soft: devils hand

long polyp toadstool

anthellia

unidentified tree type

Misc: red finger gorgonian, clover polyps, zoos, ricordia, shrooms

Heavy Cleanup Crew:

3 nassarius snails

small sand-sifting star

one scarlet hermit

one 1.5", one 2.5" hitchhiker cucumbers

2 bumble bee snails

literally 70+ .3" hitchhiker snails

TONS of tiny, white stars

fighting conch

I believe the tiny white stars are substantial in keeping detrius from forming in my tank, thus keeping nitrates down. Can anyone confirm or disconfirm this?

Kalanianaole

My euphyllas have recently lost the texture to the polyp mouths. The mouths are flattening out and becoming thinner, as pointed out by the blue arrow. Anyone have this problem before?

Kalanianaole

Those hammers I have reflect light and look great, but they throw everything else off color for the camera. That's a montipora didgiata,. Not very spry looking, is it?

Those sun polyps are absolutely stunning. Very impressive. You might find that your euphyllias are splitting, hence the mouth becoming elongated and narrowing. The split has to start from somewhere.

Kalanianaole

Xavier...

I've had the tubastrea for about five months, during which I've prolly seen 10 new heads pop out. I'm consistent enough in feeding them that whenever they catch a wiff of food in the water, they come right out.

Another thing about the sun polyps; I was worried when I bought two sexy shrimp cos they're about small enought to be preyed on by the sun polyps if they ever strayed near a tentacle. I saw a large amphipod get nabbed and wrassled in by one of the larger polyps. Interestingly enough, the sexy shrimp stay on the right side of the tank and I've never seen them close to the tubastrea on the left. I wonder if they know it's a potential threat.

Kalanianaole

I feed the sun polyps at least 3x a week, varying the menu with MYSIS, Prime Reef, Brine and even Formula One. They used to get Angel Formula when I had that pygmy angel.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a clown goby also, it lost alot of weight and ended up dieing but I seen it eat flakes and some worms. Your tank looks great tho. Question for you, I just set up a 2.5 gallon tank with a JBJ 18W 50/50 PC light 3 inches of sand and a few pounds of live rock from a 55 gallon reef tank thats been setup for 5 yrs. Which corals should I start with and how long do you think I should wait till I add something? and do you have any suggestion on what I should do?

Kalanianaole

Qwk - Lessee...if everything came from the established 55 gallon, I'd wait a few days to see if it starts to cycle, which it prolly won't. If no cycle, start adding. As for what corals, whatever you want, man. It's yer tank. Is the 55 fish only or do you already have experience with corals?

I'm really into LPS now. A 2.5 of primarily LPS could be purdy neat. You can find some quarter-sized Fungia at www.coraldynamics.com . Seacrop ) www.seacrop.com/Bumper%20Crop.htm ) has a neat deal where you can get 6 frags for $40. You can even specify SPS, LPS or softies. You don't know exactly what species you'll get, but that's part of the fun I suppose. They're all small enough they'd fit perfect in a 2.5 and still have plenty of growing room. Good luck whatever way you go and be sure to update with pics.

Chris - Thank you. That's the sort of compliment I've been going for all along.

Kalanianaole

Qwk - Lessee...if everything came from the established 55 gallon, I'd wait a few days to see if it starts to cycle, which it prolly won't. If no cycle, start adding. As for what corals, whatever you want, man. It's yer tank. Is the 55 fish only or do you already have experience with corals?

I'm really into LPS now. A 2.5 of primarily LPS could be purdy neat. You can find some quarter-sized Fungia at www.coraldynamics.com . Seacrop ) www.seacrop.com/Bumper%20Crop.htm ) has a neat deal where you can get 6 frags for $40. You can even specify SPS, LPS or softies. You don't know exactly what species you'll get, but that's part of the fun I suppose. They're all small enough they'd fit perfect in a 2.5 and still have plenty of growing room. Good luck whatever way you go and be sure to update with pics.

Chris - Thank you. That's the sort of compliment I've been going for all along.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go wipe Marks saliva off my sun coral...

• 1 month later...

Archived