Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Urchins

Uploadead

Are long spine or short spined urchins hard to keep in a nano? I have done quite a bit of research on them but I just want to know if they will do well enough. Which of thr ones are the hardiest, and will they eat any of my corals :

Pumping Xenia

Purple Fission Zoas

Brown palys

Toadstool Leather

Bubble Coral

Thanks! :)

I have a blue tuxedo pin cushion in my nano and it has not done anything to my corals. I read up on them before hand this one is supposed to be the most reef safe.

ReadyReefer

from what i've read, most urchins will not harm corals so long as they are well fed. They eat any and all algea, including coralline, so if your tank becomes algea-free, try feeding him nori (sushi seaweed, much better for marine livestock than lettuce)

ReadyReefer

i dont think corraline is their preferred food so if you kept him well fed he might ignore it. if you decide to get one, i would leave it cat the LFS for a short time and see if it has a taste for corraline

I would skip it in a nano. It probably won't eat anything, but it may use your corals as a hat (protection) as well as shift and destroy your LR structure.

Not worth it...trust me :)

linkia lady

I had a long-spined black urchin in my 37g. and he just mowed over everything. I would not put a long-spined in a tank that small.

Archived