ReefCleaners.org

finegr leather coral....read!

yellowtang

yellowtang

i bought a finger leather coral ...the problem is that it looks like it is being eaten :*( (it was this way before i bought it but at the time i couldnt tell) it has three main stalks and i did see some little creature on the rock the coral was attached to so my question is

1. shoudl i just try to find the creature? im worried that there could be allot of them so maybe i should frag it and get rid of the rock it was attached to?

i need some advice quick ...if you say i shoudl frag it then what is the best method?

thanks for any help

i wouldn't frag it unless as a last resort in order to save a part of it. the fragging just causes it unnecessary stress at this point which it may not surive from.

the following is assuming you really do have a hitchhiker or parasite. a pic would be great but if you're seeing little nibblings, fecal pellets, or coral colored debris building up next to the coral, then it's likely you've got a dickfer.

first, i'd get a list a things. a razor, those pen knife razors are very good altho they almost immediately rust by the next day. turkey baster for spray. a wide shallow plastic container. gloves (trust me, you'll want this definitely :x) or a plastic bag to use in lieu of gloves (altho you really feel it! double :x).

second, i'd prep a diluted iodine solution (lugol's preferred but any will do). if you have a dip solution like kent's that's perfect.

basically a 10x dose in a separate container made from the tank water. this is for use as a dip vat and the tank water is to limit environment trauma. the waste water from a wc is perfect.

sometimes the bugger/parasite will wiggle out or at least react enough from the dip/bath (at least 10 minutes should do it) to be seen by its movement. then you can tweezer it's ass/head out. you will likely only get part of it and will have to start 'digging'. this is where the razor and gloves come in. unless you've got a strong stomach you don't need the gloves. wiggly squishy ugly coral-eating bastages gross me out tho. i usually end up carving the entire section out. more traumatic for the coral but less traumatic for me. :blush: good luck!

yellowtang

hey thanks for reply tinyreef......well yes there definitley was a hitchhiker and its kinda hard to explain and its too late for a pic but fragging it was tyhe best way so i did it and all three are doin pretty good 2 of them are already extending there polyps and look really nice i just have to restich them to the rock cause its kinda lose ill try and get a pic later

Eric

Archived