Coral Vue Hydros

How high should your Alkalinity be?

Obsessed Reefer

Obsessed Reefer

When I tested for Alkalinity, it tested high, how do I lower it, or is it supposed to be high?

should be about 10 dKH - what's your CA at? CA & TA go hand in hand one goes up so does the other. First take it to a LFS and have them re-test it to confirm it is high, hobbyist test kits are not entirely reliable and sometimes complicated to get a solid reading.

Check your other params like SG etc., make sure that you are not running thick salinity (if you are using the deep six hydrometer, get rid of it and take your water in for tests...and by yourself a different hydrometer, that thing is notorius for bad readings)

To get it lower, you need to do a series of smaller water changes, maybe w/ a KH buffer & dose kalkwasser or Kent's liquid CA w/ Magnesium and Strontium (nothing w/ other trace compounds such as bio calcium that can increase your alk.)

Good luck :)

Obsessed Reefer

My SG is fine, I use a refractometer, I never trust Hydrometers. I think I need a different test kit. I have one that test for Alk, not dKH (it may be the same thing, but my test kit shows it only going up to 2.9).

These might help: link, link.

Alkalinity should be correct on a freshly mixed batch of saltwater; over time, alkalinity tends to fall. If your alkalinity is high due to dosing, adjust your dosing and perform water changes to correct. However, if your alkalinity is too high due to source water or salt mix, change brands and/or source water. Note distilled water has no buffering capability (this is provided by the salt mix or additives).

Obsessed Reefer

Ok. Well I dont dose, and I know I need a different test kit, and my lfs doesn't test for Alk. What does Alk affect in the tank. What should I look for if it is high?

My SG is fine, I use a refractometer, I never trust Hydrometers. I think I need a different test kit. I have one that test for Alk, not dKH (it may be the same thing, but my test kit shows it only going up to 2.9).

Total Alkalinity is expressed most comonly as either dKH or meq/L. Your test kit is meq/L to get dKH simply multiply your result by 2.8 and that is the dKH value. High alk in my tank killed 2 pieces of frogspawn and 1 hammer coral. However, if it was low that imo would be harmful. At this point there is no need to panic, how's your ph and ca? If they are good, then read Farley's article at reef central on alkalinity it's very comprehensive.

Obsessed Reefer

my pH(or it should be pH3O, if you wanna get scientific)(lol) is 8.3, my Ca is low, but I'm dosing to bring it up. According to what you said, then my alk is about 8.4 last time when I tested it.

my pH(or it should be pH3O, if you wanna get scientific)(lol) is 8.3, my Ca is low, but I'm dosing to bring it up. According to what you said, then my alk is about 8.4 last time when I tested it.

8.4 meq/L? then that's high. I would not dose CA till you know your alk is high or low. If your ph is stable and corals seem ok, order a new alk test and do some water changes. Which test do you use?

Archived