inTank Media Baskets

Basic questions I can't find using the search option.....

CantStopReefin

CantStopReefin

I just got done cycling my water and I just bought new coral two days ago. I purchased hairy mushrooms and button polyps. Here are my questions.

- After two days a small group of my polyps are not open, they are actually white around the rim. Are they dying? Anything I can do?

-I also bought Iodine, Strontium & Molybdenum, and liquid calcium. How many drops do I put in my 7Gal Nano? All the dosage are for larger tanks, nothing on the bottle says anything about tanks smaller then 30 gals. How many drops do I use of each, and how frequent?

-After two days I noticed translucent white specs floating all over in my water. What the heck is it?? Estimated count is around 50. I have 4 snails, 2 blue knuckled hermits, hairy mushrooms, polyps, fiji cured rock, and live sand. What the heck could these things be? I hope its a good thing. As of right now I am clueless. :(

Thank you for stopping by reading and possibly helping out. Any help is greatly appreciated.

the white specs may be hydroid jellys.. can you tell if they can self propel themselves (hydroids will have small jumping movements in the water)? If they are hydroids, they usually go away after awhile..

As for the drops.. just do some math... if it's 6 drops for 30 gallons (just throwing numbers out there) then it'd be about 1 to 2 drops for a 7g (depending on bioload)

Now, the button polyps.. are you saying they are white around the rim when fully open? does it look like decay? it may be that's their natural color.. is it possible to get a picture?

the little translucent stuff could be loose tunicates but the amount you're talking about does sound more like jellies or some kind of pods or their shed carapaces.

i agree with xavier on the dosing too. if the numbers don't come out neatly for daily dosings spread it out over a couple of days or even a week. or some peeps just do wc's in the beginning for simplicity sake.

the white could be bleaching, growth, damage (injury or predatory), photoperiod reaction, or it could be lighting perception. how are your water/tank parameters? how are the other livestock doing?

Hi,

Test before you dose. The instructions on the bottles are a very rough gude; with a low bio-load and and regular water changes, you might not have to dose anything. Also, iodine can be overdosed, so be careful.

Just a thought ... and it might save you some $$$.

I don't dose my Minibow. Weekly 1gallon water changes with R/O water and Tropic Marin salt seem to keep CA up enought to support growth of a Candy Coral, a Montipora Digitata, and a small Squamosa Clam.

If you are going to dose. Make sure you need it before you add it.

Gil

Archived