ReefCleaners.org

Killer Nano's

NanoJrFL

What kind of critters are dangerous to us? I read an article about zoos already but what othr fish, inverts, or corals are dangerous?

apparently some slugs that eat the toxic zoos can cause serious pain, look a thread or two down and you'll see the info.

yeah but I don't think they are harmful to humans, although I would say it would be wise to not squeeze them or put your hands in your mouth or eyes after handling them - but that is plain common sense.

Nishant3789

certain catfish.....but i dont think itll be nano-reef safe, um............ sea anemones pack quite a piunch at least carpets.... and lionfish if anyones stupid enough to put it in their tank

c_k_kuehne

How about fire coral.

I have two different varieties in my main tank.

The one from the gulf side of FL doesn't really contain any "bite"

The one from the FL keys does sting a little when you touch it. Nothing fatal but I definatly wouldn't suggest touching it then rubbing your eyes or private parts --- might not be much fun.

Once my nano is up and running I'm moving both into it. They don't require MH lighting and are an interesting coral to have. You never used to be able to purchase them but I have seen them in abundance at the LFS lately.

Charles

coralreefengr

I know a guy who says his ricordea stings him.

Tangs have a barb near their tails that you should be cautious of. Highly advisable to not lick your fingers, touch your eyes, or pick your nose before washing your hands after you've had them in your tank. A little caution and common sense goes a long ways.

The zoanthid incident was one of licking or ingesting, if I recall correctly. You might want to avoid doing that as well. I don't think tasting your livestock is really a good idea.

CRE

Aquiring a cone snail (very deadly) as an incidental is probably not out of the question considering the amount of species there are and their range. I also read somewhere that some corals can carry Vibrio. Another reason to wear gloves when messing around in the tank.....

c_k_kuehne

My Dad did scrape his leg on a barnacle while his boat was dry docked for repairs down in FL. Bacteria thing.

He had a long stay in the hospital. His leg swelled up for about 6 months and he literly almost lost his leg.

Even now years latter it's still a little puffy and red down by his ankle.

Originally posted by Acoustic

I can't remember what it's called but there is a bacteria in salt water that can make you or your kid real sick.

Actually Acoustic I think that's Vibrio. I was incorect in my post above... its not carried by corals but by a type of oyster. Once it gets in the water it becomes water borne and can infect a person through a cut in the skin just from contact with the water. You can also get it from eating an infected oyster as well though the water borne version is nastier since it gets directly into the blood stream and has a 50% mortality rate.

Archived