inTank Media Baskets

to peppermint or not?

drdrew

well...i just got 10 pounds gulf view rock...wow.

unbelievable amounts of life...don't even know where to begin.

but i see some aiptaisia!

so.

should i get a couple of peppermints to eat the stuff...or do most of you feel peppermints end up stripping life from the sand/rocks/etc that you would want to keep?

oh...it's a 15 gal high...now with 23lbs rock, 4 inch dsb...will post update pics tonight...

We love our peps... not only do they keep the aiptasia at bay, but they produce regular treats for the other inhabitants (shrimp larvae). Haven't had any problems with them.

Noel

Brooklyn Johnny

While pepps cause no problems they are hit or miss on the aiptasia. Personally I would get rid of them while the tank was new and you could get access to them. When I set up my tank I had just three of them. I just fired up the stove with a pot of boiling water (my tank is next to the stove) and boiled the corners of the live rock where they were. 100% effectiveness here although there are other way. If you depend on the pepps and get you're tank going they may reach inaccessible spots and cause you never to get rid of them... HTH...

Johnny

Orange Crush

love my pep. haven't had him very long, but he's gone nuts on the aiptasia and hasn't hurt anything else that i've seen. Even the aips that are seemingly way too big for him he's been slowly working on. I'll know in a day or two if he just finished cleaning the tank this morning...cross your fingers

I bought a pep to rid my tank of aiptasia, which it did very quickly. So I fed him pellets thinking, okay, this'll keep him happy. Nope! It started in on my yellow colonial polyps. :( I couldn't believe it when I saw him pluck one off and hold it up to his little shrimpy lips (do they have lips?) and chow down on it. Bye bye pep. Too bad to, he was a cool looking shrimp.

Chamkeeper

I just sent mine back to the LFS due to his new fondness for Xenia. I caught him taking some long looks at my Polyps too.

i got the primo deco rock.

it is amazing...but you gotta take the bad with the good.

i know the peps will go for yello polyps for sure, but do they go for other zooanthids?

and more importantly will they yank spaghetti worms, pods, and other good stuff?

i'm going to try to kalk the aips first...but likey will get the peps...will post pics of the rock tonight

Archived