inTank Media Baskets

New to nanos, and I have some Qs.

polojunk

Hey

I have been reading alot about reef keeping in the last few days, but I still have some questions. I am planning on getting a ten gallon tank with LS and LR. I want to get 2 Percula clownfish. I also want to get some corals of course, and some anenomies. Also planning on getting a HOB filter.

1)What kind of PC lighting would be good for this? and where can I buy a hood for this lighting, and where can I buy PC lights?

2)After I have everything set up, how long should I put a damselfish in there before its done cycling? Can I put the damselfish in the tank the day after I set it up?

3) After I have the tank cycled, what do I do next? Get corals, then fish? I know I have to add livestock slowely. Do I have to feed corals?

4) how many powerheads? How strong should they be?

Lots of questions, I know. I have been keeping freshwater for a few years now, so I'm not totally clueless as to aquariums.B)

My advice is to read, read, read.

Lighting- a 10 gallon leaves you many choices....try www.ahsupply.com and www.hellolights.com for the lighting choices. Hellolights has an awesome deal on a CSL 96watt quad for $100, and that would sit on a glass top. There is a thread around here somewhere on that lighting system and it looks very nice. You could also use 2x36 watt kits. I would think you are looking at about $100 for the lighting.

Cycling- every tank is different. If you go the fish route let the tank run for a good 24-48 hours and make sure the water is good before you introduce a fish into the system. If you use a fish, it will be HARD to get out with all the live rock. Another option is doing a fishless cycle. There is an article on the site about the different cycling options.

Powerheads- This is up to you. I would go look at the other members tanks and look at the specs. I would think you could do 1 medium sized or 2 smaller sized. This all depends on if you are going to have a HOB filter....

That's really weird.. I posted to this thread not an hour ago.. spent a good deal of time detailing answers to each of those questions and now it's gone... very strange

Brooklyn Johnny

Xavier you posted your answer in the Member's nano reef section... same question was posted in two different forums...:P

Johnny

Yea, I accidently posted this in the Members section the 1st time. I just went to a saltwater fishstore today and I was thinking would it be ok to us a PC 32w 10,000k setup on the ten gallon? and how high does it have to be elevated above the tank? And maybe I will skip the anenomes...

Archived