SaltCritters.com

What lighting for a 10G nano?

ltj2489

Hey everyone....I want to setup a 10G nano tank (my first) and with that have begun doing my research as to what I will need :-)

Biggest question right now is in regards to what lighting fixture / bulbs I should buy, and from where. I hope to have some soft & hard corals, anemones, and a couple clowns....

Also, from what I've seen the more powerful light fixtures ride about 6" off the top of the tank, so what should I get to cover the tank? Right now its just the standard cover that is clear where the light fixture goes and has the black flip-up in the front for feeding....(i'm assuming i will ditch this)

Thanks for any and all help!

Brooklyn Johnny

Welcome to 10 gallon nanolandia ltj. I have a 10 gallon and have been very happy with my lighting choice I made after researching originally on this sight. I ordered everything but the bulbs from www.ahsupply.com. It is the 2x36 watt power compact setup. I got the bulbs from www.hellolights.com, one 10k and one actinic. I have kept a variety of things under these lights (check out the link to pics of my tank on nano-reef.com homepage). However, seeing that this is your first nano I don't recommend you go with anything too difficult. Anyway good luck and I hope the site is helping...

Johnny

Thanks Johnny, I have seen the pics of your tank on this forum before and it is incredible (and part of my motivation for trying!)

What did you use to cover the tank? How far off the tank do you keep the light fixture?

Brooklyn Johnny

The enclosure housing the light was also purchased from ahsupply for I think $30 and fits perfectly over the tank. You can see more pics of this on ahsupply's website...

The light fixture is just a couple of inches off of the tank. With halides you need to keep them higher as there is more heat given off and the bulbs run very hot and can break if splashed by water. What lighting are you leaning towards?

I'm leaning towards PC simply due to ease of setup and less $$.

My only concern was its ability to appropriately light the tank. However, I have heard enough on the positive side from others and yourself to convince me that PC is the way to go!

Not saying i can't be done, but if they go south on you, and many people have posted warnings to the effect, it will jack up your whole system.

If your looking for a cool symbiotic relationship with your clowns and an anemone, you can get the same effect with Frogspawn or Hammer corals (Euphyllia sp.), Zoo's, Xenia, and bubbles (just to name a few). Then you don't have to worry about the anemone walking over everything, ####ing off/stinging your corals, getting sucked into a powerhead, etc.

Listen to Johnny's lighting suggestions!! I think that 72W set up is the best bang for your buck system out there (AH Suppy for the kit, Hellolights for the lights).

Fluoros are fluoros....go MH for the best spectrum and intensity. (Getting sick of saying this..lol) You'll kick yourself later if you don't. (I'm living proof of that...)

You probably won't but you should...

HTH....

So I was looking on ahsupply and the following items caught my eye:

2 x 36 watt Bright Kit Item # 30362

20" Black Enclosure #50201

What's the effort in actually putting together the fixture? Does it ship with instructions? I'd hate to mis-wire something and burn down my house :-)

The kits from ahsupply are very easy to put togeather. I dont know about the hoods they have, I always build my own, but they look very nice. I would order the bulbs from hellolights, I like their lights much better....

just my 2 cents

Hello!

Just wondering if I can use my JBJ 36W clamp-on light for my new 10G tank, if all I want to have for coral is mushrooms & zoos.

Thanks so much.

I'm running a 10 gallon, and switched to power compact about a month ago. WOW... my tank now has an abundance of life and activity now, i couldnt imagine putting another 32 watts in. do i need more than that?

onthefly -

Thanks for the tip - maybe anemones are a bad idea for now.

I wasn't aware you could get the same symbiotic relationship between a clown using some soft corals instead of anemones....

Is there any particular species which "works" the best?

You can try as hard as you want and provide them with nice places to host and, like TheCurriculum says, they'll go snuggle up with your PH or Heater!!! That's why they call them clowns!

As for species, I've seen the host most commonly with Frogspawn and Hammer corals (Euphylia sp.), Xenia, Bubble corals, and Zoo's. That being said, if anyone else has a species they've seen them host in.....by all means!

Also, certain clown will host easier than others. I think clarkii's are the easiest to introduce, while percs tend to hump your PH! Just my experience!

A lot of LPS corals make great hosts...anything with "tentacles"...mine died for my Frogspawn until I tossed in my Torch..then they died for that until I tossed in my Heliofungia..which is even more anemone-like.

Anyway...pssst...go MH..not PC...(trying to be subversive here...lol).

Archived