Top Shelf Aquatics

LFS Ethics-What Would You Do?

rperrice

Hi All,

My 7-gal AGA has been running for a month and everything is going well or so I think. I wanted to start safe, so two-or-so weeks ago I made two purchases at my LFS, one rock with a lot of brown mushrooms and a green mushroom and a rock with some star polyps. Also bought some blue hermits and astrea snails. I am new to the hobby and I did not realize that on the rock with the mushrooms there was some bubble algae. I just thought it was another type of live rock growth. The LFS owner did not say anything about it either. It wasn't until a few days later after reading the boards that I found out bubble algae is not good. The bubbles are small, but they seem to be slowly increasing in number, however its just on this rock with the mushrooms.

My questions to any who would answer are: should I return the rock/mushrooms to the LFS and ask for an exchange or should I deal with the issue myself? I do have corals coming tomorrow from Marine Depot Live and also a Emerald crab, which I read eats bubble algae. Was it ethical for this LFS owner to sell me something which might be bad for my tank and should I deal with him any more? Is all bubble algae bad? Thanks.

Sorry, one more question: Know any good LFS around Westchester County, New York?

harbingerofthefish

If it was on there to begin with than it buyer beware. Of couse I've had algae grow form some frag rocks, and it wasn't noticablly there when I got it.

I don't think its something to go to the LFS and complain about. Sure it's bad for your tank, but hopefully you can deal with it before it gets out of hand.

bubble agae (valonia [sp?]) is bad. I've had a few spots, but they never spread, knock on wood.

It's possible that the corals you have coming will also have some type of algae on them. They may have pruned it but it's a part of the hobby.

The LFS owner didn't say anything probally due to the fact that he thought you saw it and knew what it was, not just trying to make sale. It's not like they were trying to pass off an aptasia rock as pink colony polyps.

I like the look of valonia but it can get real bad. Watch the emerald as they don't always eat bubble algae and they can be a niusance.

Is it the local fish store's fault? Nope. Buyer beware. I bought a small frag online that came with one blade of caulerpa on it and that blade took over my whole tank to the point that I scrapped the contents.

As for local fish stores, try manhattanreefs.com and look into the section that lists stores and ratings. They have a few listed out of the city.

coralreefengr

It is ultimately up to you to be informed when you go to your LFS. You will read countless stories on these boards about people who have been misinformed, sold things they don't need or even misidentified livestock.

There is NO substitute for knowledge. If you want to be protected, you MUST protect yourself. You have your best interests at heart.

Fortunately, you found this board early. I suggest you use the hell out of the search button.

Additionally, you can get bubble algae in your system without even knowing it's been introduced. (Among other things). The LFS is not the only one with nuisance algae. It is up to you (again) to maintain your system in a manner that does not allow nuisance algae to destroy it.

FWIW,

CRE

Archived