SaltCritters.com

What is this Cribbity Crab?

StevieT

Just picked up a new peice of live rock. I am planning on breaking it up and hiding some pumps and stuff with it. I found this hitchhiker crawling around on the rock. This crab is blueish in color with orange "stripes" close the the bottom of each leg. Sorry for not having a clear picture, my good digital is broke (i guess that doesn't make it good anymore! :D )

Any Ideas of what it is? Good, Bad? Thanks

Make it a great holiday!

?action=view¤t=102_0116.jpg

post-25617-1183486664_thumb.jpg

Am I mistaken or does it have antennae?? If so you have quite a nice hitcher, some type of anemone crab :)

Reef safe filter feeder if you're not familiar with them, if I'm correct than you should see it sticking it's fans out to catch particles. Mine loves to wallow in anthelia.

Am I mistaken or does it have antennae?? If so you have quite a kick a$$ hitcher, some type of anemone crab :)

No, you are not mistaken............. It does have two longer antennae!! I was thinking that it might be an anemone crab too, but I can't identify what kind. I'm just wondering one, if its bad for my reef, and two if I need to feed it anything to keep it alive. Otherwise it can find a nice pile of garbage somewhere.

Am I mistaken or does it have antennae?? If so you have quite a kick a$$ hitcher, some type of anemone crab :)

Reef safe filter feeder if you're not familiar with them, if I'm correct than you should see it sticking it's fans out to catch particles. Mine loves to wallow in anthelia.

Does yours make a clicking sound? This one was going crazy while it was out of the water. I didn't want to put it in right away but i put the rock over the tank and he jumped right in! I have the rock in a seperate bucket just to provide some flow and watch it before i stick it in the aquarium.

I also picked up a snail, a blue legged hermet and a red legged. It was a good rock!

Exaclty! I just saw it stick out these two fans! It's a filter feeder. Very cool! Thanks.

Very cool, no need to worry about that one. I feed mine about once or twice a week, that might be overkill. Sometimes a bit of frozen cyclopz or brine shrimp, free floating for everyone, or sometimes I target feed him and my shrimp with chunks of plankton or NLS pellets. He'll gladly take a solid chunk of food from tweezers and chow down on it. Other than that, I'm sure he gets a lot out of the water on his own so I'm not scared to starve him if I ignore feedings for a while.

Very cool, no need to worry about that one. I feed mine about once or twice a week, that might be overkill. Sometimes a bit of frozen cyclopz or brine shrimp, free floating for everyone, or sometimes I target feed him and my shrimp with chunks of plankton or NLS pellets. He'll gladly take a solid chunk of food from tweezers and chow down on it. Other than that, I'm sure he gets a lot out of the water on his own so I'm not scared to starve him if I ignore feedings for a while.

I will try that spot feeding method. I feed my corals once a week with Micro Plankton, plus the trace elements that I throw in so I'm sure he can bump off of that. Thanks for the advice, he is a really cool looking free crab!

RayWhisperer

Tiger Porcelin crab.

^Please excuse my bad grammar.^

Reef safe filter feeder. It will gladly take any meat you feed it though.

Alexraptor

absolutley not, thats an anemone crab for sure. nice hitchiker, the best i ever got was a scutus limpet lol.

RayWhisperer
absolutley not, thats an anemone crab for sure. nice hitchiker, the best i ever got was a scutus limpet lol.

He's joking :P

Adin has a dry sense of humor!

• 2 weeks later...

Caribbean porcelain crab! CUTE! These guys are super-easy imo. They like Cyclopeeze.

Archived