Pod Your Reef

What do dying zoanthids look like?

dickwayne

On Saturday I bought 3 zooanthid colonies. One opened up in a few hours, one opened up the next moring. The third, however, has not opened up yet (four days later). A few of the polyps did open for a little bit, but now they are closed. Not only that, but the colony lost a few polyps today.

Is this thing toast, should I throw it out? All water parameters are normal, and everything else in the tank is fine. Sorry, no pictures to show. Thanks in advance.

Rich

harbingerofthefish

(from my exp in my tank) when they die they just stop opening and "dissolve" When the polyp is gone it's gone without a trace. I got 4 little polyps at a LFS about 3 weeks ago or so. The larger of the 4 opened up the first day, the 3 smaller ones didn't. After about a weeks time the lage one had stoped opening and slowly the poylp shrank down to nothing. No trace that it was ever there. After it died the 3 little ones opened up the next day. Why all this happened? The only thing I can guess is the tank at the LFS they were in had MH lighting. I only have PC. Matbe the little ones were able to adapt.

So anyway, don't chunk the ones that are still there.

Archived