Coral Vue Hydros

Macroalgae in Main tank without refugium.

Shaolin

I am thinking about putting macroalgae in main display tank for algae control and cosmetic purposes.

I want to know if there are any drawbacks to having macroalgae in the main tank compared to having a separate refugium.

Will the macroalgae need to be pruned or trimmed down on a regular basis?

eventually you'll need to prune it back. a refuge or sump allows for easier harvesting tho as the macro will 'bleed' when cut. the macro may also inhibit coral growth but it does make for a more natural presentation if kept pruned imo.

drawbacks? how about caulerpa overrunning your tank to the point that you ditch all your livestock? Check the member tank threads for some of my tank photos. I lost a 7 gallon bow front to the caulerpa. Yanked the weed out in clumps on a weekly basis (at least a cup a week).

The macros that aren't as big a threat to take over the tank don't grow fast enough to have an impact on the nuisance algae growth.

masterfuji01

i have some macro in my tank, but i jsut put it there about a week ago...so far it has been fine...its growing in a sandbed not in reach of rocks, so i imagine that if i ever need to take it out it wont leave roots to re grow. it looks great, adn i like it so far

deacon hemp

i agree with crak on this as i'm prolly gonna do a tank transfer with all my livestock cause the stuff has taken over!

masterfuji01 trust me,you don't want it in your sand bed you won't have any sand left cause it will be all roots,if it's on the rock only you at least have a chance to keep up yanking!

the stronger the lights the worse problem you'll have mine tank is 1 hour maitenece[pulling]every 2 days with a 175 mh.i'm gonna detail every frag i get to make sure that weed never get's in the main tank again!!!

agreed that in the sand is just as bad as on the rocks. I can't stress enough how bad my algae problem became other than to say that I gave up trying to eliminate it. I rarely, if ever, give in. Satchmo saw the tank after I had pruned out a cup or two of the algae so maybe he can chime in and add to the serious problem it can become.

Archived