Top Shelf Aquatics

Choice between a 10gal or a 30gal tall

Heather Sanders

Heather Sanders

I've got two empty tanks...a 10gal and a 30gal tall. I've also got a 175W MH pendant. I was planning on setting up the 10gal, but my husband found this 30gal tall and brought it home for me. My question is which one should I use? I don't know if I'm comfortable with the shape of the 30gal, it's tall and thin, not much space for rock work the way I'm looking at it. I think I would have to be really creative and carefull if I were to use this tank (rock building wise) plus, with the extra water volume, I might be tempted to add a fish or two, which I initially was not planning on doing. Just planning on some easy corals in either tank. Any suggestions or opinions are greatly appreciated. :)

i would go for the 10 gallon. but if you decide to buy a tank get a 26 gallon bowfront or 28 gallon bowfront. they are the best!!!

I have a 20g and would like some extra room. If you do the 30g, you will be able to make a taller rock structure and have more space for coral. IMO you'll be happier in the end if you get a little bigger tank.

I dunno.. I have a 10g tall and a 25g tall... after setting it up I still find it difficult to place my corals.. certainly I have more of a high/mid/low area for light, but surface area in general I think I'm lacking... next tank I would setup would be a longer tank.. I think you can be a bit more creative with your rock in a longer tank...

Heather Sanders

Wow, so many replies in such a short time! I knew I would love this place! :) Considering my choices of the two, I am more than likely going with the 10gal, I agree. Xavier, regarding the surface area, I'd rather have a smaller tank with better surface area than a larger tank with inadequate surface area. Of course I could always whip out the plastic and try out tow-up's idea, but I think I would be in trouble, accessories are easy to hide from your significant other but a new tank is not! heehee

harbingerofthefish

judging by your initial question, the 10 will probally fit you better. Beside you'll get hooked quick and that 30 won't be empty long.

I got a 20 tall and it sat empty for a while, I gave it to a coworker when a friend at the LFS gave me a 20 (24x14x14) I liked the shorter deeper look.

coralreefengr

I like my 10 gallon. Also, don't think you can't have any fish. I have 2 false perc's that are fat and happy. I also have over 20 corals in that tank. And about getting addicted...my husband got me a 20L for my birthday, and we're working on setting that up right now. Got sand, heat, flow and 1/2 the water. I'm gonna try to finish filling it up with water changes from my other tanks. The 10 gallon will turn into a frag tank. Aquarium upgrading is a disease. :)

CRE

Archived