Innovative Marine Aquariums

Need some help again

Aggie05

Most of yall know that I had a terrible algae problem in my 10 gallon. Well when I moved it home two weeks ago I did a complete water change hoping that would cure the problem. Well, it didn't. The green water is back and I am at my witts end trying to figure things out. At this point I am positive it is something in the tank. Since I changed all the water and it is still green, and I use the same water in my other tank with no problems. So what I am going to do is tear down my tank and let the live rock dry out and die. Then when I move again in 3 months I want to setup my 20 long as a fish only and invert tank. I plan on using the rock out of my 10 gallon and getting live sand so it will help the rock become live again. I want to let it sit for about 2 months and then start adding things. I dont plan on a fuge with this tank but instead want to grow some macro amongst the rock to add some color and take the place of a fuge. As far as livestock goes, I have been thinking about a perc or two, a yellow watchmen or sand sifter goby, and possibly one other small fish. I would also like to have at least two different shrimp and a crab of some sort. Also would like to finish the tank off with two big feather dusters. I am thinking about running a skimmer with such a bioload because I don't think any other filtration will cut it. Thoughts on a skimmer and what brand would be best? And any comments on the livestock or even the tank setup would be appreciated.

Oh yeah, what would yall suggest for lighting for the algae? I have a flourescent fixture right now for it but the bulb is only a 15 watt. Could I buy a 30 watt bulb for it and use it? Any other ideas?

Thanks.

Id say start over, COMPLETELY. New sand + LR.

That way you can have a nice fresh looking tank and youll much happier due to the loss of headaches.

Archived