inTank Media Baskets

Murder!!!

WorldNation

WorldNation

damn those hermit crabs! damn them to hell!

i woke p this morning to find 2 of them taking apart one of my snails. i tryed to get them off her, but by the time i flipped her over, she was alreayd dead and half eaten. grrrrrrrr

what kind of hermits and what kind of snail?

I have two red leg hermits and worry about my snails.

How big is your tank?

WorldNation

yup, i have red lleg hermits as well. 3 of them. and aratus(or somehitng with an A) snails. sorry, forgot how they were called, but now both of them are dead, thye killed the otherone over night. buggers i have a 10 gallon set-up

Strange, I have 10 red-legged hermits in my tank with 5 astreas, 4 turbos and a trochus snail and none of them have ever attacked a snail. Of course, I keep plenty of shells around for them.

John

WorldNation

i think they do that to get new shells unless shells are already provided.

but mine were more interested in breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Could the snail have died and they merely were doing their job?

I've also heard that you can minimize the "shell jackings", by keeping plenty of empties in the tank

Brooklyn Johnny

I've had my mix of 3 astreas, 1 black trochus, some bumblebees, nassarius, and other hitchhiking snails mixed with my 2 scarlets and about 8 blue legs and never had a problem. I have plenty of shells to go around and everyone stays fed.

I'm sure it happens, but I also know that dieing/dead snails will quickly become a meal. Something to think about before a conclusion is jumped to. When I was in high school working as a local place I would always hear, "My pleco killed my fish!" after people found their pleco sucking on a fish that had died overnight.

I always see them crawling on my snails and not bothering them.

Just my experience...

Johnny

red legs are notorious for killing snails for thier shells or food teh best way to minimize this occurance:

1. keep plenty of dif. sized empty shells in the tank

2. Make sure the hermits have enough to eat

p.s sometimes it's just the hermits rebal personality :)

hope this helps Simon .

I think the snail was probably dead already. My blue legs and common striped hermit, the latter one quite large, have never bothered my astreas or turbo snail.

WorldNation

yeh, i'm thinking the same thing now. they probably jsut ate them after they were already dead.

stupid question: what are some reasons for snails dieing ff?

Orange Crush

circle of life. crabs eat snails. Either for food or for shelter, or cause the snail was already dead. Put your mind at ease with the knowledge that the snail died for a purpose. Then go out and spend $1.99, replace him, and get over it :D

Archived