inTank Media Baskets

Xenia "Seeding" Itself

Jahkaya

I was almost going to place this in the Identification forum until this morning.

Three weeks ago I had a very small frag of Xenia that was not well attached to the LR and ended up in my my Filter (submersilble). Within a few Days I notice small pink "seedlings" in the sand a decent distance from the main colony that were unidentifiable. Today they are big enough to be ID'd as %100 Xenia. The Question is is did those "Seedlings" come from the Filter death of the small frag or from the exsiting colony of Xenia that I have.? I am sure that I will find out in a month, as the Filter death Xenia was Pom Pom and My main xenia is of a different variety.

What do you think, Can Xenia "seed" itself like that after being chewed up in the filter, or is the main colony spreading in that manner. Either Way, How does it do that?

Any and all suggestions welcome, for I am just puzzled, excited, but confused as hell.

Xenia can grow from just a tiny piece of flesh, so if the xenia got cut up in the filter, it's probably from that.

I have several 1 polyp xenia in my sand as well from when mine got messed up.

I've become quite the expert on regrowing Xenia from nothing.. I've had a mystery attacker completely eat my Xenia frag down to a slime mat on the rock.. TWICE.. and both times they have regrown and sprouted new branched colonies away from the main mass (after moving it to a hospital tank)...

it works much the same way some trees do when they are cut down (you'll see a sapling growing from the center of the stump or shoots off the side).. they sense the damage and go into recovery mode and start to close the wound and sprout new stalks..

The first time I lost the Xenia frag it took about 3 months to regrow to about 2"... after the second time, just a few weeks... with enough light and nutrients you'll have stalks all over the place.. they are certainly one of the hardiest corals you could have...

I purchased a Xenia stalk about the size of a golf ball approx. 4 months back.

I know have six stalks, larger than the orignal.

If conditions are good, this stuff will reproduce and grow like crazy.

Yeah, I just got a combo rock with GSP's and Zoos and it just so happened to have xenia on it as well. As much as it grows like a weed, I just love it!!

• 2 weeks later...

MY GSP's and Zoos have been touching each other for some time with no ill effects. Oh, and the Xenia Seedings are fattening up. There Are two different types. Elongata and Pom Pom.

Go Figure!!

Archived