Pod Your Reef

whats this?

RGLAD2CU

Whatever it is, it's fascinating. The seas off of NC are probably cooler than we usually keep our tanks...

patrickross

Whatever it is, its very beautiful but, I would say that if you don't know what it is, you should probably put it back.

Cucumbers (at least some of the species in Florida) can squirt (water, not their guts). I went to a summer camp in the Florida Keys when I was a teen and we...ahem....had sea cucumber water fights.....

hehehe like raindog put so nicely, yes, cukes can squirt water. stress em enough and they'll spill guts too... not squirt... more of a fast leak.

i dont think your thingy is a cuke though... it has a purple tube thingy coming out of it. i honestly dont know what it is though. how big is it? got any more pics? :)

hehehe like raindog put so nicely, yes, cukes can squirt water. stress em enough and they'll spill guts too... not squirt... more of a fast leak.

i dont think your thingy is a cuke though... it has a purple tube thingy coming out of it. i honestly dont know what it is though. how big is it? got any more pics? :)

I will get more pics tonight, been doing a lot of researching on this one...not much to be found. I will post a couple of pics tonight. maybe someone will recognize its species at least...don't think it is a sea squirt, or cucumber, definitions definately don't match, however the definition of a coral...thinking of a toadstool type, it seems to have some of those characteristics, can't tell if the tail thingy is the nose/mouth, or the other if any...ha..very strange critter. it seems to be some sort of filter feeder, as all those little things stand up and at the very tip if you can see very close have little flangies like a xenia......or a toadstool . I will be back later with some pictures. thanks for all the input.

It's a sea pen, and if i'm not mistaken they're very closely related to anemones?

they're quite common in the waters off the eastern coast of the US.

post-29369-1184080373_thumb.jpgYES AND THANK YOU...MISS DIANE, YOUR WERE THE ONE THAT SENT ME LINKS AND I FOUND IT . IT IS OFFICIALLY CALLED A SEA PANSY. APPARENTLY THEY ARE ABUNDANT HERE ON THE EAST COAST, THEY DO NOT LIVE LONG IN CAPTIVITY, THEY SAY ABOUT A YEAR. THEY ARE SOMEWHAT SIMILAR TO ANENOMIES, AND SEA PENS. THEY HAVE NO SKELETON. VERY SOFT AND WHEN IT IS ALL DRAWN UP IT ALMOST FEELS LIKE A LEATHER DISC. HERE IS A PICTURE I TOOK AFTER A DAY OR SO IN THE TANK. IT IS ABSOLUTLY BEAUTIFUL TO JUST LOOK AT.

yeah, i know are in the process of getting another emerald crab....depending on it ability to live amongst the sea pansy, the aptasias..we have had the most difficult time with them. we have a refugeum set up below with peppermint shrimp, and switch the rocks out every once in a while to let them get a good cleaning. we have almost got it under control believe it or not... they are spreading to the rock base so we will be bringing them "upstairs" in about a month or so to take care of them there. hopefully that will be the end of those monsters. lol.... but thanks for the interest. Spanko, that is an awsome looking tank! how long have you had yours set up?

Archived