inTank Media Baskets

are Electric Flame Scallops ok in the nano-reef?

Iphantom

My opinion -

No never ever ever.

Explanation -

Make no mistake they are absolutely beautiful. However, they have very short lifespans and are most often sold as senior citizens already. They require heavy direct feedings. They mostly consume phytoplankton and zooplankton. The most common reason of death for these guys is starvation. They consume an ungodly amount of food. It is almost like they need a steady IV. Anyhow, for the work, price, and risk I feel that they are not worth it.

Couldn't agree more with Acoustic's take....they're amazingly hard to keep even by experienced and seasoned reefers. Most even die then..I'd put a large anemone into a nano before a flame scallop.

Ditto on the above information. While they're beautiful, they're not meant for the hobby. I don't know why they're sold to the public.

they're sold to the public because they are cheap and easy to get and, most important, they are eye catching and an easy sell.

People love to buy anything that is flashy, colorful or interesting. Regal Angels are always being sold in fish stores and they rarely live very long in captivity (except in my old 55, where one lived for over a year before I lost the tank to a heat wave - ate of out my hand the poor bastard may he r.i.p.)

Archived