Top Shelf Aquatics

cucumber

ApocalypticSurf6

ApocalypticSurf6

my LFS which believe it or not just gave me a job, discounts! sweet!, has a cuke for sale that im very interested in but can find no info on, its about 3 inches long and is a hardcore silter feeder, I watch it catch stuff in its hairly lil arms and then stuff its face with them, its body is light green with light pink bumps and edges and its hairy arms are pink also. Hes 40 bux but I knw il get him much cheaper and really want it but want to make sure hes not toxic as I know most are. My boss says hes not but im skepitical. Also as a ps has anyone ever kept nerite snails, they looks nice and I need some good herbs to eat my green algae off my rocks sine I have 3 super togan narsarius at an inch long each taking out my detris and cleaning my sand bed, thanks

Nerites are wonderful, industrious little snails and great to have. IME, they're more diatom film grazers than algae attackers. Why not get some but also keep your eye out for some turbos to get the algae?

BTW, those Nassarius are scavengers, not grazers, and will need some sort of food--leftover fish- or coral-food is fine--if you're feeding anything else at this time. Otherwise you might want to add some food for them.

No cuke experience--sorry!

--Diane

ApocalypticSurf6

about the nassarius sorry thats what I intended, yea they are eating what my fish left of the mysis shrimp, im also feeding the tank dt's phyto and oyster eggs to my new corals and clam

Then it's a good thing you have them! I love Nassarius--so amazingly quick for a snail, and fun to watch the way they erupt from the substrate when they smell dinner!

--Diane

EtOH_is_good

i added a cuc to my refugium this weekend. i guess the refugium is jammed packed with food because it hasn't moved very far from where i dumped it in. btw it is alive. my brother in law has three cucs crawling around his 300g tank. until some says otherwise, i'm pretty sure that they are safe.

nerites are great. i think they more around more than astrea. i want a supply of nerites to add to my tank :(

ApocalypticSurf6

well they do have a bright blue sea apple with yellow spikes and arms but I know that will destroy my tank if it ever died so im a lil scared of it even though it absolutly beautiful

the vast majority of cukes are toxic (including the filter feeders). some are more potent than others. If you're wary about it and you dont know EXACTLY what species it is and how toxic it is, dont buy it.

btw just a guess, but since your cuke has such bright colours, maybe the colouration actually serves as a warning to say "im toxic!" kinda like poisonous frogs.

what kinda tank would the cuke be going into? cukes need peaceful environments, and very little stress. if there's anything that might pick on it, I would leave the cuke at the lfs.

ApocalypticSurf6

well its a 10g with a emperor 400 filter/fuge and will have two micro-jet 450 pumps on a wave maker and a 70w mh light, i have a bunch of sps and then an annemone and 2 true percs so nothing to really ### it off like a wrasse or goby. Im sure I can keep it healthy, just a little concerned as would be any reefer

if your tank was bigger, like 50gal or so, then yes, even if it did go toxic, chances are that with carbon, the toxins would get too diluted to do much damage. this logic works for most cukes except the more potent ones. in a 10gal tank though, the chance of a toxic cuke crashing a tank is MUCH higher. if you feel confident enough, then go for it, but i won't advise it highly. at least leave it at the store a couple of weeks more just to observe it.

Archived