SaltCritters.com

Lighting Questions

horsehunter

horsehunter

Just came back from a weekend in Toronto visiting family. Went to two different Big Al's ( Aquarium Services) to buy a 24 inch CSL hood/fixture with 2 65w PC's that I had seen on their website. I was informed that although they had them in stock they could not sell them in Ontario as they were not CSA approved and they could only ship them to the States.

I can get a ballast that will handle two 24 inch 75w VHO's or one that will handle two 55w PC's. What will give me the best light on a 25 gallon high 24x12x20 ?

Thanks Frank

Dustin, check out the workhorse ballast series. There site can be found at http://www.fulham.com/. They have some awesome ballasts and are MUCH cheaper than the Icecaps. There are wiring diagrams also located on the site.

These are very easy to use I am LOVE them to death!

Hope this helps! Also, do a search on this site for them, I think many fellow reefers use these.

William

I would personally go with PC for that size tank. I have VHOs on a 125 and they get HOT, much hotter than my PC on my nano. If you dont want to DIY check out www.hellolights.com. They have some great deals on PC, they even have some DIY kits. Another place to check out is www.ahsupply.com. Either is a good choice. With the 24" long tank you can easly fit 55watt bulbs in there. I think you could easly fit 3 maybe even 4 PC in the 12' wide hood. I think that would give you enough light to grow everything but the very high light corals....

just my 2 cents

VHOs, PC's...doesn't matter...its all fluorescents...not really worth their salt, IMO. Set up a MH system. Say...175 or 250w. Its not significantly more expensive to setup OR maintain than a large array of PC's or VHO's and your corals will thank you for it.

Archived