Coral Vue Hydros

Elegance and Torch Coral Husbandry

chrisdamage

chrisdamage

anyone have any experience with these? I was considering one to add to my BC14 but I am concerned becuase of my current stocking:

1 small open brain

1 small pineapple brain

1 small anchor coral

1 small toadstool leather

1 small bunch of xenias

10,000,000 zoos

various mushrooms

1 medium branching gorgonia

I just didn't know if I already had too many corals with sweeper tentacles to worry about another one?

Elegance doesn't really have long sweepers 'most of the time'

There are long and short tentacle elegant corals

I'm not sure I'd buy an elegance though...60/40 chance that it will die (not in your favor)...they usually do :(

Torchs are a different matter entirely. They CAN have 6" sweepers but usually if you have it so it can't touch anything else even with a change in flow, you'll be fine.

chrisdamage

I'm not sure I'd buy an elegance though...60/40 chance that it will die (not in your favor)...they usually do :(

Torchs are a different matter entirely. They CAN have 6" sweepers but usually if you have it so it can't touch anything else even with a change in flow, you'll be fine.

thanks dude

bubbles3660
I just didn't know if I already had too many corals with sweeper tentacles to worry about another one?

I have a torch in my BC14.

torch.jpg

You will need at least 6" of space - unless you place the torch high up on the rock work. They have difficulty stinging stuff that is below them.

--bubbles

chrisdamage
I have a torch in my BC14.

torch.jpg

You will need at least 6" of space - unless you place the torch high up on the rock work. They have difficulty stinging stuff that is below them.

--bubbles

I read that torch corals shouldn't be placed on the rocks at all because their tissue can become easily injured and this often leads to infection... or maybe that was about the elegance coral... I dunno, correct me if I'm wrong

If its in a REALLY high flow area it is possible...but I wouldn't worry about it at all. I'd put it as high as you can on some rock!

Elegance like I said before, are the most ridiculous corals EVER....worse than dendros IMO. Mine got outstung by my trach brain!

If its in a REALLY high flow area it is possible...but I wouldn't worry about it at all. I'd put it as high as you can on some rock!

Elegance like I said before, are the most ridiculous corals EVER....worse than dendros IMO. Mine got outstung by my trach brain!

I thought torch corals hate high flow areas.

chrisdamage
I thought torch corals hate high flow areas.

ya, I thought high flow areas are a negative for them?

My torch hated even medium flow. I had to move it to a place where the tentecles are just kind of swaying gently in the breeze. Now it is growing a new head.

bubbles3660
I read that torch corals shouldn't be placed on the rocks at all because their tissue can become easily injured and this often leads to infection... or maybe that was about the elegance coral... I dunno, correct me if I'm wrong

I've read that about open brain corals but not torches. It's possible the white flesh near the tentacles could get bruised but my torch has built up a rocky base and seems to be doing just fine. Too fine, in fact. I had to chop it in half because it was getting too big and nasty. I also read somewhere that torches are "impossible to keep" - clearly, you can't always believe what you read.

Re: flow - I have mine in a moderate flow area and it is thriving. It uses the moderate current to cast out its tentacles.

--bubbles

strangelove

Yeah I agree elegence corals are difficult, I found this out after I got one. It was happy and healthy for three months and than it started to decline. It was beeing harrased by a brittle star and got all torn up. I've moved it to a higher spot in the tank where the brittle stars don't go and now it's doing better, a couple Lugols baths and vitamin C dosing seems to be working too. When it was healthy it was huge with long tentacles, expands to be twice its skelaton. Not a good choice if you have a 24g tank.

...I thought I said don't put in a high flow area because it can/will get hurt :/

As long as the tentacles aren't 'pulling' the connective tissue at the skeleton it'll be fine :)

Archived