inTank Media Baskets

My Dream Tank

Gvtv44

No, I have to be able to see it from the sides ;)

Could you having someone over to trade frags, and you say,"I'll go down and get them" :lol:

The Oklahoma Aquarium has a metal kiddy pool with the inside covered in a light layer of concrete that they keep reef fish in. They cut viewing areas out of the metal panels and put acrylic panels in for side viewing. Add some 1000w halides to that, and you've got a reef tank. :)

Just a thought ;)

Check out House of Fins web site. They are located in CT

http://www.houseoffins.com/

They have a 800 gallon custom built tank that I am completely drooling over, they installed it in a Greenwich CT home. I asked what the cost would be to replicate that same exact tank and they said somewhere in the range of $80,000 - $90,000 soup to nuts. I have come to the sad reality that unless I hit the Mega Millions I will never own a system like that.

So you can only imagine the cost of a 5000 G tank, then add the cost to actually run the thing. Your electricty bill alone would be like a second mortgage payment.

Your better off going out to River Head Long Island every weekend to vist the reef aquarium they have there. If you haven't been there I highly reccomend it to anyone in the area or anyone that plans on visting the area. It is well worth it. That tank is 20,000 G filled with corals and reef fishes. Absolutely Awesome

http://www.atlantismarineworld.com/

Good luck....! :D

masterbuilder

+ Fish

+Corals

+Plumbing

+Electrical upgrades to power 1000+watts of MH

+ Someway to get rid of the heat and moisture

+ 50% to 75% more than you thought

=$20K at bare min.

Somebody ...I cant remember who, told me that a up and running reef tank goes for $100 per gallon. I am well over that for my little tank, but I think thats in the ball park. I would think the larger you get the economy of scale works for you. Based on the post by RaSooch, that may be faulty reasoning.

I have well over $1500 in my 12 gallon tank...doh!

Mark

p.s. If I had $5K+ to spend on a tank, I would build the most kick ass 30-40 gallon tank anyone has ever seen.

Somebody ...I cant remember who, told me that a up and running reef tank goes for $100 per gallon. I am well over that for my little tank, but I think thats in the ball park. I would think the larger you get the economy of scale works for you. Based on the post by RaSooch, that may be faulty reasoning.

I have well over $1500 in my 12 gallon tank...doh!

Your reasoning is very good reasoning, and I thought the same thing, but once you decide to go custom built then the price skyrockets.

Those lights would probably be fine if you kept the SPS and high light stuff at the top, the softies and LPS at the bottom.

For only $150 more you could get the 6' Outer Orbit T5 with 3 250w HQIs and 8 39w T5s. Not sure how you like the idea of a single long pendant, but the extra wattage would be worth it, I think. Maybe have a custom built pendant-style canopy to hide it, so it doesn't look a foot short on either side.

Dont let anyone try to scare you, this is your dream system were talking about. Nothing is going to come too cheap or too easy, but do dreams ever come that easy? With hard work, patience, tons of research, and dedication you could definitely make your dream tank a reality with some modifications.

Here is my advice:

1. Do you know anything about big tank plumbing, if not don't fret, just learn by observing and taking notes on other peoples systems whether that be online or in person. In person would be better but RC will do just fine. You will realize that the more things you plumb externally the easier it is to care for. When I designed and completed my 90 gallon reef (150 gallons total volume), I plumbed my pumps externally as well as my skimmer and designed myself a designated fishroom. This made maintenance so much easier.

2. It is going to be alot more expensive than you realize even when pricing everything out in the beginning. Thats fine though, in the end you will be happy you made the purchases you made. Like myself I dumped 300$ on a handmade custom acrylic becket protein skimmer and then spent another 120$ on the pump, but it absolutely kicks a$$.

3. Go with a single lighting unit like the one listed above, it looks a lot sleeker and is so much more efficient than getting three or four different pendants with seperate wiring and ballasts it would be a mess.

4. Make sure to make seperate eletrical sockets on a different circuit designated just for you aquarium. This is an absolute necessity.

5. Use rubbermaids as the sump/ fuge see my thread for the simple sump I made with three rubbermaids. 30 gallons is way too small for a tank you're talking about. Rubbermaids are cheap easy to drill and hold water extremely well. Click my link in the sig for some really good ideas for your sump.

6. Your flow seems good enough although you did not list your return pump, which should be external and will probably run you close to 200$.

7. It is imperative to buy a really good protein skimmer one 500$ and up for a tank your size. If you are going to spend that much money on the tank, do not cut corners when it comes to skimming. Get a really big and nice skimmer and you will be very satisfied.

8. Unstocked your tank will probably run you 5-6 g's which is fine. If you are devoted and happy, and this is certainly your dream tank, you should'nt feel guilty about spending that much money on a dream of yours.

9. Dont let anyone scare you away from doing this. Anyone can do this with just the proper amount of research and planning.

10. Last but certainly not least, HAVE FUN! Big tanks are awesome to plan and setup and when you are finished and looking back upon your build you are going to have gained a substanial amount of knowledge that you never possesed before.

Good Luck- I really love when people follow through with their plans for a dream tank.

PS dont forget to check my thread,

MJD

I want a wine tasting room :P (www.houseoffins.com)

Who needs fish? Who needs coral? Who needs a mold free house?Who needs a safe house?

:P

Nano is the way to go for me... for now ;)

This was just a thought that occured to me... and I realize I must be realistic for now... if I start saving now though, I will have that 5,000 sooner than I think... and I want to do it all myself (except building the tank) but AFTER I learn the proper techniques/ reasearch... back to the drawing board! Like I said, a BC 29 will be a nice upgrade for now :D

I want a wine tasting room :P (www.houseoffins.com)

Who needs fish? Who needs coral? Who needs a mold free house?Who needs a safe house?

:P

Nano is the way to go for me... for now ;)

This was just a thought that occured to me... and I realize I must be realistic for now... if I start saving now though, I will have that 5,000 sooner than I think... and I want to do it all myself (except building the tank) but AFTER I learn the proper techniques/ reasearch... back to the drawing board! Like I said, a BC 29 will be a nice upgrade for now :D

I wrote all of that for nothing... :(

MJD

MJD... not at all... I read every word... solid advice.... if N-R.com is still up when I build it, I will use that advice ;) Thanks!

travisurfer

if i was that rich, i would get a small swimming pool installed inside a sunroom as a fish only tank and go snorkeling in it. wouldn't that be awesome!

Archived