Innovative Marine Aquariums

help with feather star

Tworoads

i bought a feather starfish this weekend because my LFS guy said they are hardy and do well. they looked to neat i decided not to read up on them and come back because i knew they would be gone.

i spent the morning researching them and i read that they are very hard to keep and should pretty much NEVER be bought.

has anyone had exp with them? what kind of food do you feed them?

thanks.

also, and other info you think would be helpful would be great.

i bought a feather starfish this weekend because my LFS guy said they are hardy and do well. they looked to neat i decided not to read up on them and come back because i knew they would be gone.

i spent the morning researching them and i read that they are very hard to keep and should pretty much NEVER be bought.

has anyone had exp with them? what kind of food do you feed them?

thanks.

also, and other info you think would be helpful would be great.

Wow - wouldn't trust that LFS anymore. See if they'll take the thing back.

If not:

I had one for a few months before it fell apart. Mine was given to me by the LFS owner, who couldn't keep them alive either - they were unordered additions to a box shipment. It had already lost quite a few arms when he gave it to me, and began growing them back, started looking better - went away for a week, and we was pretty much gone when I got back.

My best advice would be to try a mix of every planktonic food you can come up with - DTs, cyclopeeze, oyster eggs, roe...and hope it responds.

The latest research that I know of is that their main food source is mass spawning events, when they gorge themselves. After these events, they basically eat only to survive until the next event. So unless you can get your corals, etc. to begin spawning, it'll be a very difficult time.

Archived