Innovative Marine Aquariums

Saddleback Clowns

teri

Okay. I have a Biocube 14. I have two (yes, a pair) saddleback clowns. I now know that the tank is too small for them. I love them. They are happy, eating, swimming, playing. I plan that they will have no other inhabitants save for snails and coral. I am not taking them back to the LFS. If you guys tell me they will suffer (I am serious when I say happy, eating, swimming, playing) I will figure something out, but I am hoping that as long as I keep it to just them, they will be fine? "That's plenty of room for the pair, no problem" said the LFS guy. I have had them a month. One is three inches. One is an inch and a quarter. They are doing great. I feel awful. :(

2 clowns as long as you keep up on maintance and don't over feed won't be a problem in my opinion.. My idea with clowns is: they live in anenomes in the ocean rarely leaving, so think a biocube provides a good amount of space. Now you just have to compete with the oceans water quality.. haha you should be fine!

I have a 34 gallon RSM and my two sebae clowns have never been around the whole tank. They went from the bag directly to the anemone and only leave the anemone when I feed them. You really should be fine with your setup if you can keep the water quality good you have enough room. Just what ever you do, don't add another fish.

I have a 34 gallon RSM and my two sebae clowns have never been around the whole tank. They went from the bag directly to the anemone and only leave the anemone when I feed them. You really should be fine with your setup if you can keep the water quality good you have enough room. Just what ever you do, don't add another fish.

I feel so much better! I will not add another fish--Visa and Mastercard (their names) seem to think they are pretty tough. I do want to find them a leather coral so they might host--I am new and uncertain about anemones. Do you think I should go for one or stick with the leather coral plan?

Do you mind if I ask you what you feed your saddlebacks, and how much/how often? I want to be sure I am making these two happy and healthy.

Thanks!

I feel so much better! I will not add another fish--Visa and Mastercard (their names) seem to think they are pretty tough. I do want to find them a leather coral so they might host--I am new and uncertain about anemones. Do you think I should go for one or stick with the leather coral plan?

Do you mind if I ask you what you feed your saddlebacks, and how much/how often? I want to be sure I am making these two happy and healthy.

Thanks!

My clown hosted frogspawn when I had that coral, now it hosts a zoa colony only at night.. never heard of leathers

I just picked up some frog spawn and my clown is already giving it an appreciative look, I think he is going to start hosting it soon. Plus, frog spawn is pretty cool, so I would suggest getting some :)

There is a little frogspawn (maybe one inch right now) but I think it is too small for them. Thanks so much for your advice--I really thought I was going to have to fine them a new home.

Ack! I will post pictures as soon as I can afford a camera! Mastercard and Visa (the clowns) have kept my budget pretty tight. I am looking around for a cheap one though.

travisurfer

I would just go with some xenia as the hosting coral. It will keep the bioload low, absorb tons of nutrients, and give them a large hosting area. Just know that a 14g tank(with a swimming space close to 10g) is borderline for these fish and you may need to get a bigger tank down the road. Just take things slow and see how they do.

Just keep in mind they can get to 5" each which may not only tax the tank system but also pose some stress factors for them if and when they get that big. But hey by that time maybe you will be ready to upgrade to a bigger tank.

:happydance:

Archived