Pod Your Reef

Nudibranch

Mnesarchus

Mnesarchus

I purchased a purple/pink nudibranch today at the LFS at a great price. So far in my reading, I understand that 95% of the time nudibranch's die of starvation, so I have been planning how to feed it daily while at the same time keeping parameters high. I will dose 1 drop of filter-feeder food every day, and every three days will do a 1/2 gallon waterchange. Any thoughts? Suggestions?

what kind is it? do you have a pic?

here are some good links for ID'ing

http://www.cybereef.com/opisthobranch_site...pages/INDEX.htm

http://www.medslugs.de/E/mssmain.htm

first step should be to ID it so you can then determine its true dietary needs. from the coloration i'm guessing it could be a sponge eater. ???

you might want to ask the lfs where it hitchhiked from (fiji, indonesia, red sea, etc.) to help narrow down the possibilities and determine its needs.

Mnesarchus

The slug is Hypselodoris apolegma, originating from in and around the Philippines.

Pics:

nudi01.jpg

nudi02.jpg

Size: 1" long, 3/5" wide

Colors: White underside, pink body, yellow filters and feelers

buuutiful! B)

i think they say it's a sponge eater tho. i'm thinking it's suited more for a cryptic environment. gorgeous specimen, too cute!

nothing nicer than the slugs. However, most are highly toxic and very few live well in small tanks. they run out of food and die. The only slugs that are worth keeping due to less risk are the algae eating slugs such as the lettuce nudi and even then, they do such a good job that they run out of food. They also tend to find their way to the intake of powerheads and once in there, they are dead.

Mnesarchus

This animal will release toxins into the environment when it dies? Or does it use the toxins as a defense?

Mnesarchus

I removed the Nudi this morning, the LFS guy knew I knew that he sold me a timebomb, but he took is back and let me trade for a cleaner shrimp. Pics of the nudi (this thing was just beautiful):

nudi03.jpg

nudi04.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

In my old reef, I had a couple nudis that came on the live rock. One was black. The blackest black you have ever seen. And maybe a half inch long. The other was purple, white and black. And a little smaller. They never bothered anything from what I could tell. And when they came out, it was a gorgeous sight.

John

Archived