Pod Your Reef

New Coral right for tank?

The Unit

They don't requier any light at all. You must feed them directly and avoid waste because it will muck up your tank.

"it will muck up your tank"

what exactuly do u mean. the over feeding will muck up the tank or the coral itself?

Unit,

What Acoustic is trying to say is that feeding this coral may quickly foul your water because they tend to be hard to feed unless you "overfeed" them....by that I mean you have to blow food across them and wait for the polyps to catch it...which can sometimes lead to 2 or 3 turkey basters worth of food going into your water...in a 2.5 this will build up FAST. I've got Black Sun Polyps (Tubastrea micrantha) in my 10 and I have to skim and w/c the heck out of it to keep the water quality up. These are beautiful corals..and well worth the effort IF you can commit the time and effort to their care.

HTH...

Depending on the number of polyps on your sun coral you could feed it like I fed mine, I turned off the circulation in the tank, floated the brine shrimp in the water and then pushed each piece of shrimp gently into each individual polyp with a wooden skewer. Kinda like hand feeding. Its amazing how fast the coral will eat the shrimp and open back up for more. Good luck

i think im going to do it...but im not too sure on how SMALL the online dealer has in mind...the smaller the better but i dont want a hunge one...it just wont fit....

Originally posted by The Unit

oh and does this coral require high calcium?

Yep: it does have a hard skeleton. Sounds like you're looking for something different in your tank that's an LPS: why not a Caulestrea (ie: trumpet/candycane) coral. I've kept them in reasonably low light, and they frag easily. I know you're in south NJ, but if you are planning on being up this way, I have 3 varieties, and can get you a 2-3 head frag that would look neat.

If you're ordering online, you'll be paying shipping anyway. I have a few things and could put together a small package for you.

email me:

ken@pmiplanning.com

In fact, click on the homepage icon in my sig here and the first pic shows one of them when I first got it...2.5 ears later, I've fragged it a bunch and it still has a dozen heads. Easy to place in the tank, too.

Archived