Coral Vue Hydros

Uh oh, clicking from my tank...

ZoeS

I heard faint clicking coming from my tank tonight... sounded like a tiny person was tapping on the glass, I guess.

Do I have a mantis shrimp? My tank is about 6-8 weeks old and this is the first time I hear it... As far as I know, I've lost one blue hermit (of 10) and one snail (of 12)... I also have a brittle star and a tiger cuke, as they are fine.

I just added a fish today.

What's the the verdict? Wouldn't there have been more death in the tank, and clicking, prior to this?

maybe you just havent herd it until now? how big is the tank? and how much rock do you have in the tank already? it sounds like a mantis, but you never know untill you catch a look at the little guy. if it is a mantis or even a pistol you can take a clean 20 oz plastic bottle, or water bottle and cut the top off and invert it. fasten the invertid top back onto the bottle and bait the trap. id use a hermit or snail. you might need to add some sand in the bottom of the trap and make the trap dark. thats the best way to catch a mantis without taking your rock out one piece at a time. good luck, and dont kill it if it is a mantis, there are people who will take it off your hands.

luscien

I heard faint clicking coming from my tank tonight... sounded like a tiny person was tapping on the glass, I guess.

Do I have a mantis shrimp? My tank is about 6-8 weeks old and this is the first time I hear it... As far as I know, I've lost one blue hermit (of 10) and one snail (of 12)... I also have a brittle star and a tiger cuke, as they are fine.

What's the the verdict? Wouldn't there have been more death in the tank, and clicking, prior to this?

Even a 1" mantis will be loud enough for you to hear in the next room, and it'll be relatively more random and sharper than a pistol shrimps "pop." It won't be a soft tap that's for sure. It almost sounds more like tapping a metal spoon on the counter top.

I guess the deaths would really depend on the size of the mantis...if you have one at all. They don't just go around on killing sprees. You'll hear it everyday though.

You can try to add some invert food to the tank while examining the rocks and crevices for scavanging mantis'.

If you do have a mantis, you can remove the suspect rock, place it in a bucket, and squirt some fresh water or seltzer water into the holes with a syringe. It should pop right out.

It's possible that I haven't heard it until now... My tank is 8 gallons, and I have not introduced any liverock since I started the tank (except for small pieces for frags - it couldn't have come with that, could it?)

Bleh, I had nightmares last night about having a mantis - I hope it's not the case...

there really not that big a deal, i have one in my 10 gallon and i dont here him click that often. an 8 gallon, if it were me i would take each rock out and inspect them. it shouldnt be hard to find. it wont do un repairable damage to any thing so theres not much to worrie about. if its eating crabs and snails there is a positive chance that it wont hurt your fish. if you find it let us know, good luck!

luscien

Could be the snails moving against the glass, especially if they're near a corner or on some rock close to the glass.

yeah I've had astreas and hermits click their shells against the glass - but then I also have 2 mantis and a pistol in my 8G too

yankeereefer

I had one of those old school glass thermometers with a suction cup on it. The powerhead's flow would make it click against the glass.

Replaced it with 2 mantis'

Yankeereefer

BustytheSnowMaam

I hear similar noises in my tank- it's hermits mating. The male will rock the female's shell back and forth and it make a little clicking noise.

hermits mating, is that a joke?

hahaha...

That's true. about the snails that is. They'll snap shut if something irritates them or scares them and make clicking noises on the rocks or glass with their shells sometimes. If all you've added were rubble, you probably don't have a mantis. The kind you're thinking about wouldn't burrow into your sand without a piece of rock to hide under.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Archived