inTank Media Baskets

Scavengers for a mantis shrimp tank

Raindogg

Anyone have any luck with scavengers/algae eaters that can survive being in a tank with a mantis shrimp? I have a mass of 'pods that are doing a decent job (and oddly, the mantis hunts them, which is fun to watch), but the tank seems like it could use something more.

travisurfer

ceriths usually last longer since they stay in the sandbed and come out occasionally at night. a single large snail that he can't kill like a turbo or a large astrea is also a welcome addition. that worked out really well for me. hth.

He's a 3-4 inch long peacock, so a smasher type. He has already taken care of the nassarius snails in there, so I am not sure the sand bed is much of a refuge. I'm actually thinking along the lines of a small urchin or brittle-star, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with it before I experiment.

serpent and brittle stars have a better success rate than urchins, but neither are guaranteed by any means. the larger turbos (shell has to be thick enough that it cant be smashed through) would work too. ime, mantids will find the snails whether or not they're hiding in the sand.

assuming the tank is 25gal (minimum for an adult peacock) or more , a conch might be a good one.

Archived