inTank Media Baskets

Protein Skimmer help

avalanche1201

avalanche1201

So my g/'s parents tank is covered w/ algae and they have a hi bio load....I decided I had enough w/ how it looks and its time to do some serious on work on this baby to get it looken good...Ill be modify there trickle filter so its more of a sump w/ cheato and LR etc....ditchen the sponges and the Bio Balls as well..

However, They want and need a protein skimmer...Its a 72 Gal Oceanic Bow front, any good ideas for a skimmer for this tank?

Please help, thanks alot

ASM is a fantastic brand of skimmer then Euroreef. while doing this I'd highly suggest a Kalkwasser auto top off or drip. Ms Wages pickling lime is a cheap way to do it 1 tbs per gallon is the general dosage. the kalkwasser would usually be for corals but when I used it with a skimmer it would usually increase the skimmers ability to skim. I've had some before and after pics of using a skimmer with kalkwasser. Although you could have corals after adding this I don't know what kind of tank this or it stock.

Also adding some kind of phosban material works wonders, foster and smith has some phosphate pads that can be fashioned to work in hob filters, canisters and many other ways.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...=0#entry1194120

either this or a phosban reactor should work great to combat the algae.

avalanche1201

the phosphates were actually tested a little while ago and the levels were really low...Im clueless as to how it got in the system, so I did the same thing to there tank as I did w/ my 3gal...

There are now corals so Im not worried about Kalkwasser, its just a FOWLR

in the near future her dad wants to make a 100gal sump in the basement, thats when Ill make the check list of what they need...like RODI and ATO etc etc

Just saying check out my results using kalkwasser with my skimmer.

No Kalkwasser auto top off

410700640_3f9316fe4c.jpg

After adding auto top off with kalkwasser. you can see the early drip line design I used coming out the left behind the skimmer, it's now connected to an auto top off float valve

420093182_8f0bd9c9b5.jpg

I'm just saying it will help pull out organics as it did with me. You might already have a Auto Top off system for the tank. Just add 1 tbs per gallon with little vinegar of the auto top off at $2 per container of Wages Pickling lime it's a cheap way to increase it's skimming ability

this is a new idea to me. Kalk helps the skimmer pull out organics? I knew it could precipitate phosphate. I know a skimmer can pull out organics. How does kalk increase the skimmers abilities?

I see your pics. Pretty drastic diffrence between the two pics.

I'm not really sure why it worked that way with me, I'm thinking it's kind of a pH thing. like freshwater is a bit acidic compared to sw. don't know what to tell ya. btw here is post by Eric borneman when he did some test on skimmate.

http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic52254-9-1.aspx

this is a new idea to me. Kalk helps the skimmer pull out organics? I knew it could precipitate phosphate. I know a skimmer can pull out organics. How does kalk increase the skimmers abilities?

I see your pics. Pretty drastic diffrence between the two pics.

Archived