ReefCleaners.org

Which Lighting Should I Get?

MarkM

Hi everyone,

I have a 12 gallon aquapod which i've had it for about 8 months, and its doing great. However, the corals/rocks/ fish seem to look dull because I have the stock lights. I want to upgrade my lighting to something that will allow me to keep better corals and something that will really bring out the colors in my corals and rocks. Can anyone recommend some really good lights for my tank. I'm still new at keeping saltwater fishtanks so I really have no idea what to get. Thanks in advance. :)

The Sunpods are nice.....I would go with 150w fixture cause I have a 70w MH on my tank now and I wished I went with 150.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any brighter bulbs that I can just put in my stock tank cover, or is my best option to go with something like a Sunpod?

HecticDialectics
Are there any brighter bulbs that I can just put in my stock tank cover, or is my best option to go with something like a Sunpod?

Either something like a sunpod or one of the custom hoods/retrofits from somewhere like nanocustoms.com or nanotuners.com (forgot which is which). The amount of extra light you need really depends on the kinda coral you wanna keep.

• 2 weeks later...
Either something like a sunpod or one of the custom hoods/retrofits from somewhere like nanocustoms.com or nanotuners.com (forgot which is which). The amount of extra light you need really depends on the kinda coral you wanna keep.

I have the 24 Cube, ditched the hood and went with teh Sunpod 150w 14000k...Its far the best way to go. Im not the best to answer this but the 150 on yours may be too much..anyone??

Im Picking up a 16 gallon tonight so I need to think about what Im putting on/in that. Ill probably have LR, some coral, Live plants and Seahorses. Hmmmmm Decisions....

70 mile ride...see ya'l when I get back

HecticDialectics

I'm pretty convinced that a 150W MH isn't too much light on -any- tank... with the sole exception of low-light coral placement based on how far away you can get em. Trying to figure out some generic ratio of lighting to tank size inevitably ignores how much light a coral can want or handle.

I went with the 70W Sunpod. I don't regret it at all. I haven't tried any clams due to lighting/cost/placement concerns, but the SPS I have is growing like crazy. The 16.5" Sunpod is a great match to an AP12.

b.

Archived