ReefCleaners.org

Going Cuke'N

Raise

Hey guys, ive noticed lately alot of people posting about "best sand sifter" & "best sand cleaner" and I honestly believe that a cucumber will clean sand better than any other invert out there. It eats sand, ingests all the gunk and then poops out little "pills" of clean sand. Im going down to the keys pretty soon and would be more than willing to pick you guys up cucumbers. I can get any size you want from 1" to 12"+ (i dont think nano'ers will need that guy). Most of the colors I find are bright yellow (my fav), a pinky white, dark brown with white spots and sometimes grey ones. So if anyone is interested please lemme know. I would sell them dirt cheap $1-$2? But you would be incharge of the shipping cost....and im not too sure how they do with shipping.. If I send you a cuke and it didnt make it than I will take proper actions.. So if anyone is interested, lemme know so I can start to organize who wants what, in what color and how many. I already have a few people interested at RC. Thanks

Ray

Going this upcoming friday. If you want something lemme know by thursday evening.

I can also get: Green & Red Emeralds, Decorators (some people like em).

where you going collecting? do you think you might be able to find some mangrove pods or macro?? Also, i assume that the cukes are reef safe? got any pics? thanks! (feel free to email me too)

Spencer

I am collecting in the Florida Keys. Magrove pods...I dont know jacka bout, you'll need to further explain. The cukes are for sure reef safe, but at the moment I have no pics...they are the stantard lookd cucumber I assume :) Ill go ahead and shoot you an email so we can further discuss these matters, Thanks.

Ray

Aren't mangroves they plants that are semi-endangered in Florida and kinda illegal to have? I only know that cause one of my friends used to have a full tree in his house. Anyways Raise could probably get you that :)

Hmmm :)

Hehe, i try and stay on the right side of the law, most of the time.

Well except Hukka time......

cukes don't ship very well. Any time I have tried buying them they show up with their guts out. I don't like them for nanos as they tend to stress easily and release toxins. In larger tanks they can cause less damage and don't get stressed as easily as they do in smaller tanks.

Not trying to ruin your business (I figure, at the amount you are charging, it's more of a service than a business) but I thought it should be pointed out that the shipping risk is high and that they can be a major issue if spooked.

I have heard that shipping for cukes is so/so... im a bit nervous about that.

And I really dont think these cukes are toxic. Ive had numerous keys cukes and have spooked them many times over and not once has any of them expelled any sort of toxin. Ever.

I know some cucumbers do this but not once I have I ever seen one from the Keys do it..

Whenever one of teh two in my nano gets spooked they just draw in their feeding tentacles and sort of close up, but thats all. I wish I knew the scientific name so I could find out for sure if there has ever been an incident of one of these cucumbers expelling toxins. Im still trying to figure out how to do the shipping to make it more Likely for survival. Thanks Crak

raise, the shipping is usually what causes the gut spilling. I've never once had them ship and live and I've had them thrown in on dozens of orders with no success.

Crak- Thanks for the words of advise, Im going to take your advice. Odd thing is that there werent even any cukes this time! Maybe god was trying to show me something. In the future im just gonna collect cukes for locals/picker uppers. Thanks.

What I did get:

Enough emeralds (I hope) to satisfy the wants of thsoe who were interested.

Enough Decorators as well

(2) Lettuce Nudis

(1) .5" Hi Hat

(1) .25" Baby Damsel (species unknown)

50 Blue Legs

Overall great trip, considering I cought both of those little fish with my hands :)

If anyone is interested in stuff in the future lemme know and Ill get it for ya.

Btw- Im never making the trip ther and back in oneday ever again. I feel asleep 5 times behind the wheel, w times the things on teh side of the road woke me up and the other 3 my buddy was awake and took care of the situation. I had a good time though.

Ray

p_89168_18214.jpg

Tridachia Crispata, BTW- im sorry I didnt get to your quesstion sooner. Lemme look that slug up and i can tell you if ive even seen em before.

• 2 weeks later...

In da car. They were all in a bunch of coolers, its only a 5hr drive. (Although, it did take 9hrs to get back, thanks to MF'ing traffic)

Archived