Coral Vue Hydros

sand sifting stars

linkia lady

linkia lady

I have two sand sifting stars in my 150g. I have had them for a long time now but recently I've noticed that everytime they surface they are stacked on top of each other. They will stay like that for hours. What are they doing? Are they mating? It seems like they do it too often for that. Anyone have any ideas?

No, but what an interesting story! Had to reply, just so I can follow along with any further developments...

:-)

A not too helpful google search only yielded the information that, while most stars are broadcast spawners (i.e., release gametes into the water, which would probably not require physical contact [though I suppose that couldn't hurt]), a few do brood their young, which would seem to me to require contact at some point, probably during fertilization. However, the only info as to which spp these are was that they "tend to be polar spp." !

Anyway, these links mention the brooding:

http://www.vsf.cape.com/~jdale/science/reproduction.htm

http://oceanlink.island.net/ask/echino.html#anchor21187

--Diane

linkia lady

Thanks Diane! That info. was interesting. I wonder if they do have babies, if they could survive in my tank?

Thanks Diane! That info. was interesting. I wonder if they do have babies, if they could survive in my tank?

My understanding is that it is extremely difficult to have anything with planktonic larvae successfully breed in home aquariums, and it looks like at least some starfish have planktonic larvae. On the bright side, your filter feeders would probably find baby starfish yummy.

Well, on the off chance that sand sifters are brooders, then I don't think they would have a planktonic stage. However, I would not be surprised if the adults ate the babies once they are free-living...

It may very well be possible that gamete releasers would also "stack;" certainly would guarantee proximity of the male & female gametes! In that case, I'm sure you're right, Raindogg.

linkia lady, I doubt if such a phenomenon has been observed in captivity very often. Certainly not in our nano tanks...you might dare to post on one of the reef forums where more people have large tanks...

Or, if nothing else, I guess time will tell! :) So I take it you're still observing the same stacking behavior? And both stars look healthy?

Assuming it's a natural event--I love it when these sorts of things happen in our little worlds.

--Diane

linkia lady

My starfish continue to do this behavoir daily! Today I observed them going up the glass stacked on each other! It was odd looking! Wish I had thought of taking a picture. The larger of the two it always on top. They surfaced stacked, then they went halfway up the glass and came back down. Then they just separated. They both look healthy and they have grown a lot.

That is really very cool! Do document this and try to get pics if possible. It may be something rarely if ever witnessed.

How long have you had the stars? Have they visibly grown? Have they ever interacted at all before this?

I'll be looking forward to any updates!

--Diane

linkia lady

They continue to do this behavior everyday! It is still a mystery to me. Yes, they have visibly grown alot! I will keep you updated if anything else happens.

Archived