Top Shelf Aquatics

Lighting for my 7 minibow?!!

Dustin

I have been fooling around with ideas for sometime now. I dont was thinking of doing just one 32 watt bulb, but decided I want more lighting so I can try a clam. I also was afraid that little light might not give me the growth I am looking for. I am now looking at 2 32 watt bulbs or two 28 watt bulbs. My last resort is Metal Halide, but everywhere it is so expensive and I would want a supplemental actinic to take away some of the white put out by the MH.

Here is my question. What should I do? I am not going to build a hood and would like one that I can attatch pulleys to, that way i can raise and lower it.

Are CSL hood any good? I am really considering the one with the two 32 watters in it.

CSL stuff is nice and you can create a pulley system for it. The 2x32 watt hood has a fan too. That sounds like a good option for what your looking to do.

Cameron

I think you can. You'd need to be more concerned with water quality instead of lighting on a tank this size. You'd need to keep on top of evaporation (to keep the salinity from swinging) and make sure the calcium/alk/ph were stable. Clam wise I think a squamosa or derasa would be your best choices.

Cameron

I have a sump, I know that does not make a bit of diff. But at least you know. I am talking to PetSupply about a custom hood, I will have to supply the bulbs, know where I can get some 32 watt ones? It looks like everyone has 28 watts, but 8 watts is a whole other wpg, so I think it would help a bit.

Archived