Cultivated Reef

"wal mart special" setup

surt

Hey, my very first post! Lets hope its not a stupid one!!! :)

Since this would be my very first PC setup, the question is, would it work to remove the innards from the little fluorescent hood that comes with Wal marts 29$ 10 gallon setup and stick in a 1x55 watt pc? I hadnt bought it yet, just wondering if anyone had any experience with doing this or if it would be a bad idea due to heat, or what else might work? Since I dont own any power tools so a DIY canopy wouldnt work and buying one would be more than budget would allow.....

Thanks for any advice/ideas!!!!

Very good idea. Make sure you put fans in the light strip. Temp fluctuations will always stress you out if you don't.

I don't think a 1x55 (24" long) will fit on a 10 gallon (20" long). You'd likely be looking at a 32 watter (15" long). Some from of cooling would be nice like Acoustic said as a pc in a small hood will just radiate a lot of heat into the tank.

Cameron

thegeneral

I just made a hood with 2 55w pc lamps.they are about 6 inches above the water. I would show a pic, but i can;t figure out how to u/l them. grrrr. lol. says the pics are too big. any one know what size they need to be?

LOL Wasnt even thinking about if the bulbs would actually fit in there!! Looked at the hoods today, looks like length would be the only limiting factor there. maybe just put some railings on the top to keep the hood away from the water a bit with a fan up top or something...

general, pics of your setup would be great to see if you figure out the size, I have no clue as to what size they have to be though

OxInYourBox

36W PC's fit perfectly on a 10G. I've got AHsupply's 2X36 kit in my DIY hood on my 10G. I've also got a 1x36 kit retrofitted into another light hood that originally had FL. The kit has vent's that you can insert into the sides of your light hood and I haven't had any problems with heat with just the vent holes. I had one of the Walmart 10G setups as a QT tank (the heater is a POS and didn't work so I returned the seutp and went to petsmart who's heaters are visitherm 50W and are submersible) and the 1x36W kit should fit either light fixture. I'll check tonight for you if you want.

surt,

Here is a pic of my hood for a 10 gallon. It holds two 36W PC bulbs. It does warm up the tank a bit. The lights are 7" off the water. I'd show you the inside, but don't have a digital camera at this time. I think I spent a total of $110 or so building it. Maybe more because of mistakes:P

Nice, thanks for all the info! Looks like 36ers will work fine for me. It'll be awhile till I get enough OT at work to get everything like I want, lighting is #1 on the list for now... Hopefully it'll look as good as yours fishypoo! Gonna go check out ahsupply now

thanks again guys!

Archived