Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

LR/LS and biowheel...bad?

trevor

I've seen on numerous threads that people with eclipse tanks do not use a biowheel nor any media in their nano reefs. I have 2 eclipse 12 gallon tanks...one is fresh water and the other is going to be my nano.

I am planning to use LR and LS to take care of my filtration. However, I was wondering if anything bad would happen if I left the biowheel in place? I only ask because when I take it out of my fresh water tank for a quick rinse, I notice the rushing water gets rather loud and the tank is in my bedroom.:o I would rather have a quiet tank, but if a biowheel will cause problems, then I am willing to leave it out. Please let me know...thanks.

I ran my biowheel in my 6 gal eclipse for 3 months then decided to take it out since my trates were always elevated. Haven't noticed any change in other levels and the tank is stable. If you are bothered by the water noise keep the water level up to the black tank trim and you will hardly hear anything.

In a reef tank natural biological filtration is best. Using wet/dry's or bio wheels tend to increase trate production. Additional bio filtration is also totally unneeded. Live sand and rock is the best form of bio filtration. If your worried about noise you could use some floss or sponge to keep it down (just keep it clean).

So, along with being unneeded it will increase trates.....better to just remove it IMO.

Cameron

also....dont every rinse the bio wheel on your fresh it will kill the bacteria on it just leave it in it will get green and spin slower but thats normal

-Matt

Archived