SaltCritters.com

Leaky tank

Hurricane

It leaks!!! I have been noticing some wettness around the bottom of my tank and I have now concluded that this 30 year old 29 gal tank leaks. Since this is my first tank change I don't know what exactly to do. It has been set up for two years and I have 4.5 inches of sand and about 30 pounds of rock. What should I do? remove the rock, drain the water, scoop out sand, put it in the new one, then put water back in followed by the rock? I have a large tube anenome, shrooms, ric, and a bunch of other small critters attached to the rocks? How do I keep them all safe?

I am going to the store to buy a new tank in about an hour, is there anything I should look for when buying one? I was thinking of getting one that was not a 'show' or tall tank? What do you think?

Thanks

Harry 'the leaky tank' Moore

exactly.

Get your new tank.

Drain water from old tank into container, put all rocks in that same container.

Scoop sand into new container, add rocks then water (or vice versa). There ya go.. wont need to worry about a cycle or anything...

Just my opinion.....

You might have a cycle. If you do, hopefully it will be a small one. Anytime you move rocks and sand there is a chance for a cycle. I'd do some testing over the first few days and be prepared to do a few water changes just in case there is a spike.

I will make sure I have some water on hand and ready. I was surprised at the cost of tanks. for the acrylic tank it was $140 and the glass was $55. I have gotten all of my tanks free so I was shocked!

Thanks

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry this reply has taken so long. I am just now filling up the new used glass tank. when I saw the price of acrylic at $120 and for glass it was $50 I called on some friends of mine and was able to get another 29 for 5 bucks. I really did like the acrylic tanks, I think that will be my next one and I will also do away with the large sit on top maple hood. I like the light systems that are raised above the tank in some sort of cool metal future looking thing. I think this is ok since I really like the easier to car for things like xenia, rics, zoos and shrooms.

I will update this thread in a few days about the results of the tank change. So far I have found it exciting and I am anxious to rearange the rocks. I have some that have realy cool looking things on it.

Thanks

Harry

ps I have noticed a lot of people have personal messages at the end of thier messages that pertain to being obsessed about things and nano tanks. I think I may need to get me one of those cool sayings

Archived