Innovative Marine Aquariums

Question about lighting

peterarcher10

peterarcher10

Hi all I'm new to this nano-reefing hobby. I have just bought a 20 gallon long tank, I also got a 30 inch aqualight system with a Coralife 10,000K, and a Coralife Actinic lamp. Combinded it is a total of 130 Watts. Should this be enough light to allow me to have both soft and hard corals?? Also is there any chance of me having a problem with to much algae growth? Thanks for your help.

Peter

coralreefengr

Everyone has algae at one time or another. Nature of the beast. Should be plenty of light for most LPS corals. Since the 20L is so shallow, you might have some success with SPS as well. Be aware that softies can have an effect on the growth of hard corals. Some people skim to help with this, others don't put softies in with their hard corals.

CRE

The lighting sounds good. The first step in avoiding problematic algae growth is your water source. Ideally it will not be tap water but filtered DI (deionization) water, RO (reverse osmosis) water, or DI/RO water. This is going to be free of contaminants.

It will be fine for hard and soft corals but as coralreefengr noted sometimes they son't mix well. Skimming does help if you'd like to mix.

Cameron

Archived