Cultivated Reef

Custom 11G Acrylic SPS Wonderland

mattyice

Well its about time i got a tank for my office and i got a good deal on this, it only cost me a used mag-drive 9.5 pump and a frag of branching frogspawn...here are the plans

LIVESTOCK

-Misc. SPS frags (rare Cherry Picks only)

-Frag of Green Banching Fragspawn

-Pair of Rod's Onyx Clowns

-Yashia Goby/shrimp pair

-ORA Indigo Dottyback or Candy Hogfish

-Cleaner Shrimp

-Small Crocea or Maxima Clam

EQUIPMENT

-Custom 11G acrylic tank

-AGA 10G sump with adjustable dividers

-Gen-X GX1000 submersible pump

-Pan World 40PX on a closed loop with a SCWD

-PFO HQI 150W Pendant

-10-20lb single piece of rock (maybe tonga fusion)

-10 lbs of sand

Here are the only pics i have available right now

IMG_1266.jpg

IMG_1269.jpg

IMG_1270.jpg

well then i will most likely take out the goby shrimp pair, if you mean in the last picture those are the adjustable baffles and the 10G hood in the sump

if you mean the loc-line, well i dont know im going to adjust that and make that the suction for the closed loop and then have the pump from the sump just come above the tank and empty in the tank with the closed loop system

well then i will most likely take out the goby shrimp pair, if you mean in the last picture those are the adjustable baffles and the 10G hood in the sump

if you mean the loc-line, well i dont know im going to adjust that and make that the suction for the closed loop and then have the pump from the sump just come above the tank and empty in the tank with the closed loop system

I meant the loc-ine. It's good that you have a plan for it. I think it looks rather odd. o.O

With 2 fish, I had a ton of problems keeping the water clean enough to let my SPS grow in about 15g of water volume. Your experience might be different, but just keep an eye on those phosphates.

Right now I have 4 2-3" fish in about 40g of water volume and even then the water quality isn't super easy to keep up with either. Thank god for good skimmers.

See if you can get a tunze 9002 in that sump. Not 100% necissary, but it will make keeping SPS much much easier.

Just a quick observation here. The teeth for the overflow seems awfully shallow. When filled, the water surface will be very close to the brim of the tank. With the amount of turbulant flow needed for SPS, you'll likely have water splashing out from the top.

thanks for the ideas

so far my experience with the tunze nano skimmer isnt very good, i didnt think it performed too well and i hated the constant adjustment that it needed

i will mostly be doing water changes and using purigen and carbon to help with the water

i can see what you mean about the fish and there might be too many, but the indigo dottyback is about 2" and the clowns once they get large enough will actually be moved over into my 125 (too much of a chance when they are babies to be with my bluethroat pair) i also decided against the hogfish because of the cleaner shrimp so i am tryign to plan on moving the clowns once they hit about 2" and still having some activity in the tank

once the clowns move out i would like to have two fish in the tank and then mostly coral so i could start my prop system

most likely i will be dosing kent's nano reef parts a and b as i have had great sucess with it in the past and i will also be adding a little more calcium to the tank

I'm hoping about about 20G of total water volume and have about 5G of it be a fuge

its actually about an inch below the surface of the tank, the closed loop will be faced down towards the bottom of the tank with a 45* elbow and the return on the sump wont be making too much turbulent flow

If you're ready to commit to the waterchanges i'm all for it.

I too have some problems with my tunze 9010. I think I finally got it tuned in to a nice sweet spot after about 3 weeks of futzing.

Purigen works wonders. I swear. It's like magic.

Maybe some GFO with a reactor since you'll be omitting the skimmer?

i might do a reactor of some sort sorry but what do you mean by GFO?

for the reactor i was thinking something more like carbon or some other products like de*nitrate or something like that from sea chem

Kombucha thanks for renewing my faith in n-r members. :D

You searched and found the post I was thinking of!

Everyone should read the advanced aquarists article mentioned at the end.

i was not going to use phosguard but i am going to read that thread, i was thinking more about using carbon, phosphate sponge, and then two bags of purigen

i have used Kent's phosphate sponge and love how well it works, i am actually going to grab a few bottles of it for my 125 as i am having a hard time keeping it clean with bi-weekly 20G water changes

Archived