SaltCritters.com

Diatom/GHA question

Branket

My newly cycled 24g is almost completely covered with diatoms that are now turning to green hair algae. Today I plan to change my filter floss and do a water change, I have also cut my lighting period down to 4-5 hours. Should I also scrub the glass and rock or should I just let things run their course? My CUC isn't helping much but that is probably because it is rather small, 3 astreas and 3 red leg hermits. Any advice is appreciated.

Get a GOOD phosphate test kit

Salifert or better yet, borrow a hanna meter.

If you can measure ANYTHING, that means your phosphates are out of control.

What kind of light do you have? unless you have some serious lighting a 4-5 hour lighting cycle is a little small.

Scrub the rock out of the tank, take care of the phosphates, do a water change, and see how that pans out.

150w HQI? that's not that much.... you should be able to keep the photo period near 6-7 hours at least.

:D

since you have a 24g I also suggest getting 1 turbo snail. JUST ONE. He'll eat everything. If you get any more they'll starve. It'll take a couple weeks, but you won't have much algae to speak of once the turbo mows it all down. It's a lot more fun then scrubbing.

I now it isn't that much light but I'm just converting from a 55g FOWLR that had about 1/3 of that light and more than twice the water so it seems like a lot more to me.

OK, so phosphate kit and one turbo snail anything else I should put on the LFS list for tomorrow?

you might want to look into a twolittlefishies phosban reactor and a small container of ROWAphos, if your phosphates really are a problem.

Those two things are much cheaper online though.

you might want to look into a twolittlefishies phosban reactor and a small container of ROWAphos, if your phosphates really are a problem.

Those two things are much cheaper online though.

I have a ton of store credit at my lfs from all of the things I brought them when I downsized my tank so as long as they aren't a whole lot more than online it shouldn't be much of an issue. Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Just out of curiosity...

What kind of water are you using for water changes? Tap? Distilled? RO/DI?

Are you topping off with fresh? And what kind of water are you using there?

Just out of curiosity...

What kind of water are you using for water changes? Tap? Distilled? RO/DI?

Are you topping off with fresh? And what kind of water are you using there?

I use RO/DI pre-mixed saltwater from my lfs, and I use RO/DI freshwater for top ups.

I have a ton of store credit at my lfs from all of the things I brought them when I downsized my tank so as long as they aren't a whole lot more than online it shouldn't be much of an issue. Thanks for your helpful suggestions.

No problem! Let me know how it goes.

Hair algae and such are the most frustrating part of this hobby short of tank crashes.

Question about the phosban reactor. Will it hang on the back of the tank? Looking at the dimensions it's not going to fit in the back of the pod. i just want to make sure it's going to be a viable tool still.

Question about the phosban reactor. Will it hang on the back of the tank? Looking at the dimensions it's not going to fit in the back of the pod. i just want to make sure it's going to be a viable tool still.

ouch. a pod. They do hang on the back quite nicely on most tanks. Just make sure you can fit a minijet 606 or 404 in one of the chambers to feed it with water. I'm not 100% certain, but i'm pretty sure it'll work. This is going to be a guess and check affair.

If worse comes to worse just put the Rowa in a sock and in one of the chambers. It'll work, just not as well as in a reactor.

If you're feeling squeemish about buying it, i'd try the turbo first, and then see if your phosphates are giving you enough continued trouble to warrant a reactor. If the turbo band-aid works, then let it be for now.

Well I got a salifert phosphate test kit today and the test showed that I have almost 0 phosphates, the water did not change color at all. On the other hand the turbo snail I got is running rampant all over my rocks as I type this, so at least it's sort of being taken care of.

sweet your phosphates sound like they're under control.

Keep that test around, it'll come in handy later.

Just watch that turbo mow down the algae!

Archived